• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best way to remove LCA frame mounts

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well the XJ has been down for about a year now. my first build was 5.5 lift, sye, 8.8 rear, and 35s. i liked it for a while, but decided i wanted lower gearing. i went to 5:13s in the rear, and just finished building my waggy 44 front with 5:13s, both locked. ive been at school, so the past couple months for summer was the only time i had to do anything with it, but i got quite a bit done. im hoping to have it finished by late christmas break, and maybe get a little wheelin in

im going to run a rock krawler 3-link, and im undecided on tires yet. i was looking for the fastest/best way to do all this.
1) whats the best way to remove the LCA mounts. i saw spot welds on them, so do i have to drill them out, or can i just use an angle grinder between them and the frame
2) should i mock the 3 link up on the dana 30, then install the 44, or just pull everything out of the front end at once
3) i know i need a drop pitman arm from a waggy, but is the drag length going to be the correct length?

thanks for any help

to answer your first two questions, an angle grinder and a lot of patience is your best bet for removing the LCA mounts and if you have everthing for the front end ready to go with the 44, then its best to set it up with that. its just less work in the end.

the last set that we took off we used the plasma cutter, but I know that not everyone has one at their disposal. I have used angle grinders as well as air cut off wheels and had success as well.

wish i had a plasma cutter, that would have made it soooo much easyer.

I am installing a Clayton 6.5 Long Arm kit, and just cut off my LCA mounts today. It sucked big time, but I got it done. I used thin cut off wheels and a angle grinder. Plasma cutter would have been a cake walk, but dont have one. It takes time to do it, but it works.

~James

stumpXJ said:
I am installing a Clayton 6.5 Long Arm kit, and just cut off my LCA mounts today. It sucked big time, but I got it done. I used thin cut off wheels and a angle grinder. Plasma cutter would have been a cake walk, but dont have one. It takes time to do it, but it works.

~James

Did the same for mine, the angle grinder is messy, loud, and nasty, but it works. I just used the regular wheels, took about three of them, IIRC.

Angle grinder and a hammer. I didn't think it was really that big of a deal...maybe i'm too patient. I think it took about an hour total, maybe an hour and a half. Not really that hard, just don't cut into the framerail. Not hard to avoid it.

I used a plasma to cut mine. If you do have access to one just use extreme cause on the drivers side because of the fuel lines! Keep a fire extinguisher close and do it outside the garage. I cut as close as possible then used a angle grinder to clean the surface up. Good luck

Last edited:
I used a Sawzall with the "demolition" (or whatever you call them) blades from Home Depot. I first cut off the main part of it then used a small pry bar and started at the front bending it down and cutting as I went. Its a major PITA but can be done.

Back