• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting heavy

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is undergoing the next big phase this winter and it's going to pick up some weight.
currently sitting on 6.5"long arms with Rusty's coils, 33" muds, BDS lift springs with shackle (in stock shackle pockets), 8.8 in back, custom bumper and a roof rack.

This winter will add the D44 waggy front (already obtained)with ARB and high steer (custom built), go to 35's, and home built sliders, a new front winch bumper (with winch, already obtained), and custom rear bumper incorporating new shackle mounts. Also, a gas tank skid and prob a front skid.

That's a lot of steel and I figure my 6.5" lift is going to be significantly less. So what do I do - get longer lift springs, or higher rate springs? what are the pros/cons of each.
As I see it, longer lift springs will simply compress more with all the weight but give me more droop when wheeling, but I won't be able to stuff the tires as well as I can now?
Higher spring rate will hold the added weight but stiffen the ride and won't flex as much?

looking for your experiences when your XJs got heavy.....

ive got over 500lbs worth of steel bumpers, crossmember, and rock sliders(i like my shit beafy) and it only droped about a half inch.

rocknxj said:
Any plans to upgrade the brakes or rotors?

I ditched the ABS/hydraulic boost system as soon as I bought the XJ and put in a vacuum booster from an early 90's XJ. Rear 8.8 has disc brakes and the front will have the D44 disc brakes. I've been looking at what others have done for brake upgrades (wj/zj, E350, etc) and don't see anything that will be a 'wow!' difference.

I do understand the importance of good brakes though. Do you figure that 35's will need better brakes than what I have?

I have a tow rig and trailer - and usually travel that way now, even more so in future

fuzzydog said:
My XJ is undergoing the next big phase this winter and it's going to pick up some weight.
currently sitting on 6.5"long arms with Rusty's coils, 33" muds, BDS lift springs with shackle (in stock shackle pockets), 8.8 in back, custom bumper and a roof rack.

This winter will add the D44 waggy front (already obtained)with ARB and high steer (custom built), go to 35's, and home built sliders, a new front winch bumper (with winch, already obtained), and custom rear bumper incorporating new shackle mounts. Also, a gas tank skid and prob a front skid.

That's a lot of steel and I figure my 6.5" lift is going to be significantly less. So what do I do - get longer lift springs, or higher rate springs? what are the pros/cons of each.
As I see it, longer lift springs will simply compress more with all the weight but give me more droop when wheeling, but I won't be able to stuff the tires as well as I can now?
Higher spring rate will hold the added weight but stiffen the ride and won't flex as much?

looking for your experiences when your XJs got heavy.....

I have similar build, Dana 44, Dana 60, long arm, winch bumper and winch, skid plates, rock rails, rack etc. I added ACOS to the front, and 2" shackles to the back, (adds one inch lift) and a 1/2 inch steel spacer to the bottom of the leaf spring pack.

Back