• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering filter?

Pat

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing a cooler in my hydro-assist set up and want to add an in-line filter as well. What type of filter are you using? Where did you get it? Would you recommend it? If not, what would you recommend? Pics would be helpful too.

Thanks.

Pat

It may be unconventional but I have used 3/8" metal gas filters for over thirty years for power steering filters. They are a heck of lot cheaper than 'power steering filers' and seem to do the job of filtering out the chunks while not creating too much back pressure. I usually change them when changing the auto trans fluid (30K miles).

I use an inline filter kit for a hydraulic system on my Jeep. Picked it up at a Hydraulic shop and plumed it in on the return line. The thing looks like a remote oil filter but I picked up the Hydro filters they had. I have a buddy that used a remote oil filter kit and just uses a engine oil filter. Seems to work fine.

FordGuy said:
Why not use a combo filter/reservoir like a Howe, And yes they are worth having.

Do you have a link to the combo you describe?

OK here goes a thread hijack.

How do you connect that to the existing setup? Do you run the return into that reservoir and the output of that into the return line on the existing pump, then mount them roughly the same height?

Just plumb in a metal fuel filter (smaller style) into the return line is a great alternative? Just wondering because power steering fluid is a bit thicker than gasoline.

I don't think a fuel filter would allow enough flow and would come appart, either inside or out, and may cause enough back pressure to blow the line.

It would be a cheap thing to test though...

I wouldn't use a fuel filter, not nearly enough flow and the PS fluid is much thicker. The combo reservoir/filter that Howe and PSC sell are good, but you have to sort of redesign your system. I like the idea of using an off the shelf hydraulic fluid filter from a commercial application, that should be relatively inexpensive. I use an inline filter from Tommy Lee, Lee Mfg, which comes with either AN fittings or regular slip fittings. Mine has the slip fittings and goes between the cooler and the return to the reservoir.

Filters aren't necessary in PS systems, but they are a good precaution. There are many examples of folks chasing PS problems, replacing a component only to have it go out again, and they don't resolve it until they replace most or all of the system. The culprit seems to be small metal shavings from the bad part that contaminate the fluid and then end up taking out the new part, especially pumps. The filter is a safety valve that can contain any particles so the system isn't contaminated and the bad part can just be replaced. But, any filter used has to have enough flow to not create restriction and more heat.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm in the category of not wanting to spend a bunch of money and time redesigning the system. Just doing the typical trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

I checked out the fuel filters and I don't think that looks like a good idea...not enough flow.

I also looked at the little $2 filters that slide into the return line at the reservoir, but decided against that as well. Seems like if it really started catching things, the system would be clogged pretty quickly.

If I end up doing anything, it'll be the off-the-shelf hydraulic filter.

Pat

Thread-jacking...

Do the PSC remote resivoir pumps bolt up in place of one of our's? Or can our's be modded to remote resivoir cleanly? I want to go remote with an internal filter for reliability reasons... And the PSC pumps appear to be pretty cheap, cheaper than I can guy a standard pump for...

DirtyMJ said:
Thread-jacking...

Do the PSC remote resivoir pumps bolt up in place of one of our's? Or can our's be modded to remote resivoir cleanly? I want to go remote with an internal filter for reliability reasons... And the PSC pumps appear to be pretty cheap, cheaper than I can guy a standard pump for...

To run a remote reservoir a fitting needs to be installed in the pump where the stock reservoir attaches to it. I don't know if you can do that yourself. When you order a pump from PSC, or any other place, you have to tell them what reservoir you will be running.

Goatman said:
To run a remote reservoir a fitting needs to be installed in the pump where the stock reservoir attaches to it. I don't know if you can do that yourself. When you order a pump from PSC, or any other place, you have to tell them what reservoir you will be running.

Yeah, obviously. I wanted to know if you COULD do that or if anyone had.

Anyways, PSC sells jeep specific pumps on their off-road page (I was on the street/car page) for around $175, as opposed to $130 for the car ones. Which is still not unreasonable, other than a guy will probably want a pulley too for $49. A small remote resivoir is $65. Their large ones are about $175, and they do NOT have a filter in them, just baffling to prevent pump cavitation. All fittings are AN/JIC (they'd be JIC, AN is only AN if you have the paperwork that says it can go on an airplane, w/e).

Also they sell fittings to adapt the retarded steering box ports to regular AN/JIC sizes. Speedway has those too. A guy would at that point also want to drop a few dollars on some nice lines.

If I have a P/S pump failure I know what I'm buying.

Awhile back my pump went out on my P/S system. When I replaced the pump, I also plumbed a filter (http://www.autozone.com/R,609584/vehicleId,2382302/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,902/partType,00949/shopping/partProductDetail.htm)
into the return line, so in case there were any foreign particles anywhere, they wouldn't ruin my new pump. I did notice that my steering was a bit "stiffer", meaning it took a little more force to turn the wheel. I ran the filter for about 8 months or so and then took it out. Cut it open and there was a good bit of gunk. Steering now feels like it did beforehand, as well.

Back