• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

preping the axle to weld tubes to the housing???

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
I found one post that steers me in the right direction....

Any guys here that have done this PLEASE tell me the steps you took to do it correctly.

Stainless (High in nickel) wire??

Preheat the weld area??

Drain the axle??

Remove Shafts???

I read this, which is good info. I want to know more. :skull1:

BRIANHO13 said:
I had a fab shop do one for me a while back, welded a stock UCA mount to a 44 pumpkin, they used a high nickle rod, pre heated and controled cool down. It withstood 37" boggers for two years and is now backing up 37" Iroks. It has been beat pretty hard with no side effects.

I think it's ok to do if you have someone who knows what they are doing do the work for you.

Are you just trying to keep the tubes from spinning? What axle are you working on?

When I did my 14 bolt I ground everything clean, turned up the heat on the mig and went to town, covered it up so it cooled slow. No problems yet.

The reason for the extra precautions you quoted above was for welding cast to cast.

Lots of things to consider!
Its all about the weld!
Is the axle leaking now,if so drain it clean it!
If its not leaking currently,you may destroy any seals/sealant in the tubes!
I have never had problem welding with a mig(its cast STEEL,not iron),preheat/post cool is still recommended(but Ive done tons without).

Hammered said:
and use stainless wire correct??
Nope,std wire,been doing it for over 30 years with no issues!

Personally, I would heat it prior to welding for two reasons, you have better chances of a good solid weld with maximum penetration and it will also boil any grease out of the steels pores and burn it away (contaminants weaken welds).....then I would cover it up when I was done so it cooled slowly.

Wm

Back