• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Canopy or not?

Metal Thrasher

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98554

My XJ is no longer going to be living in the garage. I am trying to decide if I should throw a canopy over it or not. It will be parked beside my house in a ten foot wide area with a six foot fence on one side and the garage on the other. That's also behind the gate as I am sure the cat converter would disappear if it was sitting on the street. It does leak a bit through the door seals while sitting in the rain, which mostly then drains out through holes I've drilled in the floor - no carpet. So the question is: is a canpoy worth it or just an extra concern during windstroms?

For the 'quality' of that particular product, I think you'd be much better off spending the $$ on a car cover and using that instead.

Put the wife's ZJ under that!! :gee: Keep yours in the garage!!!

Problem solved....any questions; call Dr.Phil! :dunno:

RRT said:
Put the wife's ZJ under that!! :gee: Keep yours in the garage!!!

Problem solved....any questions; call Dr.Phil! :dunno:

I bet your wife's rig is in the garage and yours is outside.... She has to be putting up with you for some reason... :flipoff:

My XJ will not see a garage unless it's being serviced. Same with the wifes van. They aren't fragile, they can live outside just fine.....

If I am leaving a particular vehicle for some time, I usually throw a tarp over it.....

My Jeep resides in the driveway or out on the street without any pain felt. Unless your forced to park your rig under a pine tree that will mess up your paint with sap, or it is going sitting for an extended period without being driven I wouldnt worry about a canopy. If it is going to sit just use a tarp or car cover like said above.:rolleyes:

But what do I know...Im only 17. :dunce:

Metal Thrasher said:
I bet your wife's rig is in the garage and yours is outside.... She has to be putting up with you for some reason... :flipoff:

Nope! My jeep has a water leak & the repairs have not YET been made!

RRT said:
Nope! My jeep has a water leak & the repairs have not YET been made!

Kind of like your last XJ..... :gee:

Metal Thrasher said:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98554

My XJ is no longer going to be living in the garage. I am trying to decide if I should throw a canopy over it or not. It will be parked beside my house in a ten foot wide area with a six foot fence on one side and the garage on the other. That's also behind the gate as I am sure the cat converter would disappear if it was sitting on the street. It does leak a bit through the door seals while sitting in the rain, which mostly then drains out through holes I've drilled in the floor - no carpet. So the question is: is a canpoy worth it or just an extra concern during windstroms?

I have a similar car cover for my tractor and other outside implements from Costco (a little more than the harbor freight unit) but it is fully sided and has a front door so it is entirely enclosed). Mine is not held down very well but has not had any issues in the several storms we have had since it has been up (I have lost several trees during those storms but not the shelter). They go on sale everyonce in a while for less but normally I believe they are about $150 and I think the complete enclosure is well worth it and that way you can also store a few other extra spare parts inside with it as well (especially since you will need room for other spare parts in the garage for the vehicle replacing where the XJ goes currently). My brother also has a similar full cover from Costco and has had issues with it in the wind in the past so he took some 5gal buckets and put the bottom of the posts in them with concrete, great inexpensive, still portable, way of dealing with the wind issue.

Let me know if you need help putting it up!
I plan on getting several more for my place after I make room for them.

Michael

Back