• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who sells a 3" drop pitman arm for under $160?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to buy the Rusty's steering conversion coming up. I need to buy a 3" drop pitman as well. Just wondering if anybody has a 3" drop pitman for under $160? I really like the design of the Rusty's steering setup so I will definitely be going with that. But the pitman arm - I don't really care as the design will be the same.....Rusty's sells it for $160 and I'm looking to go cheaper on that. Not in terms of strength, although I never have heard of somebody breaking a pitman arm!

A 3" pitman arm is just crazy,you need to re-think this entire project!!

Yeah....don't do it!! 3" drop pitman arm=busted sector shaft.

If you decide to go that route, I would highly recommend carrying a spare steering box!!

Why would you think you need a 3" drop pitman arm?

Most of us sitting at 6-7 inches of lift run a stock or ZJ (1" drop) pitman arm.

mjma said:
Yeah....don't do it!! 3" drop pitman arm=busted sector shaft.

If you decide to go that route, I would highly recommend carrying a spare steering box!!
Id be more worried about the framerail and I run a C-rock steering brace and a RE trackbar brace along with a 1-peice bumper(no adapter plates)!

I did this same search a few years ago. I may have found one on ebay but I think I didn't buy it because it wasn't a very good description on how much of an actual drop it was. If you're going for the full 3" then I think you may just have to bend over and get that one from Rustys.

I do have to add though that if you are considering the Rusty's tie rod conversion kit to "steer clear." Get it? Hard as heck to align right and way too much tie rod rotation when you turn, meaning how much you have to turn the steering wheel before you actually start turning. If you're not getting this kit, then disregard these comments.

RCP Phx said:
Id be more worried about the framerail and I run a C-rock steering brace and a RE trackbar brace along with a 1-peice bumper(no adapter plates)!

I also run a Crok reinforcement. I don't have a steering box brace yet but I'm about to upgrade from my rusty's HD tracbar and bracket (which I've broken) to the RE 1660 with brace.

Even still, if you put that much extra torque on a steering box sector shaft...especially a stock box...it's not gonna want to stay together!! You'd probably be better off, if you had a 3" drop, without any bracing, that way the unibody could flex before the sector shaft broke!!

Google sector shaft breaks....I only dealt with one, and luckily we were very close to an access road where a flatbed could come and take em away. If you've got a lot of twisty trail between your jeep with a busted sector shaft and a flatbed accessible area......................................

Put the steering over the knuckle!! It will flatten out the tracbar/draglink angle without putting TOO TOO much extra stress on the sector shaft.

Interesting thoughts on the drop pitman.

I'm not worried about Rusty's quality. All of my suspension componenets, tracbar, and control arms are from Rustys's and the quality is great (except for the leaf spring bushings)

My friend has been running the Rusty's tie rod conversion for years without any problems. The reason I like it is because it has a solid tierod that runs from knuckle to knuckle, not that BS with the draglink acting as the passenger side tierod.

He is about 8" and running the 3" drop pitman as well, seems like the angles are pretty good with that sort of drop.

So yes I will be definitely going with that steering setup but I suppose I'll look into the drop pitman issue a little more now.

There are so many ZJ's at the junkyard that it would be lovely to get a pitman arm off of one of them...unfortuately no airtools or torches in the yard! Bah!!

I'll try that first, Saving $160 sounds like a good idea to try. I'm not sure how big of a difference a 2" extra in pitman arm drop would do anyway! Since the ZJ one is 1" longer....

Well, I know that the draglink and tracbar should be parallel. Although it is hard to get them EXACTLY parallel, as close as you can get is best....as to minimize bumpsteer as much as possible.

Another Jeeper I know just got the Rusty's steering and is using a 3" drop pitman. Although he is only at 6.5" (about an inch and a half lower than what I plan) his pitman arm places the drag link too far down....and then causing it to not be parallel with the tracbar.

My other friend that I probably mentioned alrady with 8" is using a 3" drop pitman and it seems to be very close. Although I never took a GOOD look at his steering, I haven't seen his XJ in awhile....

Back