• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About to spend a LOT of $$$....

aintlifegrand08

NAXJA Forum User
on my bone stock 00 xj. I am ordering the 4.5 inch RE superflex ($1050), which i hope to install myself, old man emu shocks($320), and 32 inch tires ($700) for my stock rims. The local offroad shop is going to install AA SYE and Tom Woods driveshaft for me ($900). All this will about break the bank, and so my questions are: is there anything (cost wise) that I am missing? Can I get a better deal on any of this anywhere? And finally, will 4.5 inches be enough to clear 32s at full flex w/o trimming any fender? I would be willing to go to 31s but I dont want that big lift-little tire look, and i would rather not remove the fender trim or cut sheet metal. Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm not sure how much shipping will cost, but I have some BFG 32's on steel streetlock wheels for sale for $600. I had them on my 3" lift with just a slight trim on the front bumper, so you should fit them under a 4.5" lift just fine. Here is what it looked like with no trimming (the circle shows where the previous owner notched the front bumper)

trimspot.jpg

Shop around and I'm sure you can find a better price on the kit. Are you buying the kit with the AAL's or the full spring pack? You can probably save some money by going with Bilstein 5150's instead of OME. And you can definately save alot of money by getting a PORC SYE and using a stock front shaft in the rear. They work fine for 4.5" lift as no need for the extremely expensive TW shaft. Then with some of the money you've saved you can throw that towards new gears, or wheels, or armor. The one thing you will also need is shims on the rear axle when you do the sye.

i am running 31's on 4.5" of lift, and don't think it looks too bad. only rubs the front bumper cap. full stuff on a 4.5 is going to rub. make sure you get brake lines with that lift kit.

SYE isn't that bad of an install, you can do it yourself and save some dough, you just need a good set of lock ring pliers and some 12 sided sockets. nice and easy to do when the jeep is already lifted, and you may not even need it, and trans drop may do the trick for a couple of months. JB conversions kit is only 200 if memory serves, and IMHO, is a better design than the AA SYE. have a local driveshaft shop build a driveshaft for you using spicer components and US steel.

For the coin you are spending on OME shocks, go with monotubes, my understanding is that OME rides best on an OME lift anyway, or again, you can save some coin in this department, and get a lesser shock to start. you're going to need the money, cause you are going to need lockers, and skidplates and.....

RE 4.5" will net more, at least initially. I have about 4" of bastard pack and shackle in the rear of my '00 and a front shaft in the rear is a bit over extended (4.0, AW4, 231). YMMV

Try calling our Naxja Sponsors for a better price on the lift kit. Loose-Nuts-Enterprises and FullSizeXJ come to mind off of the top of my head.

Its very bad form to try and get them into a bidding war, though. Send PM's, find the price you want, and buy.

;)

if you choose to get the full shaft SYE and are putting on the lift or thinking of attempting it then do the SYE yourself. Seems like it would be difficult but it is very simple to do and will save you on the labor.

Josh

Thank you for all the replies.. I am definately going to go with 4x4group buy... way cheaper and comes with shocks. Sunburn: how much tread is left on those 32s and what exactly are streetlocks? Are they at all functional or just for looks (they are nice looking rims). And finally, what is your area code? I was considering doing the sye myself, but it sounds a little tricky from reading the guides.... would save a lot on labor however. Anyways, thanks again for the advice, it is much appreciated.
Matt

aintlifegrand08 said:
on my bone stock 00 xj. I am ordering the 4.5 inch RE superflex ($1050), which i hope to install myself, old man emu shocks($320), and 32 inch tires ($700) for my stock rims. The local offroad shop is going to install AA SYE and Tom Woods driveshaft for me ($900). All this will about break the bank, and so my questions are: is there anything (cost wise) that I am missing? Can I get a better deal on any of this anywhere? And finally, will 4.5 inches be enough to clear 32s at full flex w/o trimming any fender? I would be willing to go to 31s but I dont want that big lift-little tire look, and i would rather not remove the fender trim or cut sheet metal. Thanks in advance for your help!

You could get away with 31s but i wouldnt suggest, it what makes your tires look small is fender trimming. ive seen 33s on 8" that look really good b/c the fenders are all stock

You might want to consider Sunburned's offer. 32's will rub when you turn full lock. My old 31's rubbed until I got some 4" backspaced rims, and they stuffed awesome, even at full stuff. Now my 33s rub again, and I less backspacing might be in my future.

At first it might not bother you, but eventually it'll irk the shit out of you.

Also, I'll put another piece of encouragement for doing the SYE yourself. When I did mine, I had never opened a transfer case before, or done any kind of mechanical work other than assisting in the install of my initial lift. I did mine with it still in the jeep, and it took a few hours, but nothing major. Also, it was my DD then. There are a couple of VERY detailed write-ups with TONS of pictures, so spend a little time getting comfortable with the steps, and pictures of the guts of your Tcase, and it'll help. If you can take the tcase out to do it, that'll make the work easier, but then you have to actually take it out.

X2 on doing the SYE yourself.
...I just did mine this past weekend. I did the Tom Woods hd kit (AA HD SYE and T/W drive shaft), it ran me about 450.00 shipped. I dealt directly with them and it only took 3 days to get to me.I took the tc out from under the jeep (6 bolts plus linkage) you already have to remove the frt, and rear d/s anyways whats 6 more bolts for the convenience. It made it much more convenient to work on. It was really easy. While it was out I rebuilt the rest of it , all new bearings and seals. I have never taken one apart till then. So it was actually pretty easy. Like mentioned above, do not forget the FLAT tip snap ring pliers that expand the snap ring.

...As far as getting the SYE and Tom Woods d/s. They are a sponsor of the site and do offer us a discount.I got a good deal on mine because of that. And by doing it yourself that will save about 400-500 bucks depending on what you opt for with the drive shaft and SYE.

...4.5 with 32"s will work just fine just remember to use proper length bump stops.

...Not familiar with the RE lift contents but... don't not forget about longer brake hoses(frt and rear) and possibility of needing longer e-brake cables. All of which has info on this site.

Well so far we have all saved you about 1000.00 or so. I think most of us take pay-pal.... lol :jester:

Oh ya do not forget to get a new speedo gear that will be right with your gear and tire size. speaking of with the savings you could do gears if you want to, depending on what gears you have know. On my 89 I have 32's with 4.56 gears and an AW4 auto trans and NP231 and it works real well for me.

i previously had 32's on a 3 inch lift with stock rims with no trimming. had a problem with some washing on the lower ca though. i fixed that with new rims with more backspacing. if u r attached to your stock rims you may want to invest in A PAIR or quad of spacers.

try groupbuy 4x4..i got my 5.5 re springs and coils from them for under 500..but like the man said PM them with your requests, don't do it out in the open, its kinda cheesy.

my 2 cents

Cipey

If you can install a lift, then you should be able to install a SYE and driveshaft. You could save on the Tom Woods DS by having a stock front DS lengthened to fit the rear. HTH blaise

yea i totally agree to install the sye just make sure you have a good set snap ring and lockring pliers and the directions are very straight forward. Im pretty sure that if you can put on a lift you can prolly put the sye in as well.

Back