• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tilt Steering mod

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 without tilt steering and would like to change it to tilt.
Is it possible to install the tilt mechanism only on my column?
The "complete" columns I find have something missing or broken.
I'll be happy to use my column if I can transfer the needed parts.

I know on the "older" XJ's you had to get the whole tilt column to get one to tilt. I have taken apart a few of these to make one good one. I will never do it again. This column goes I will pick up a straight one. Its way too much work to just take a tilt column and make it work by replacing the damaged stuff with parts from other tilt columns. And make it tight. (older columns have been know to come "loose")
So IMHO, find yourself a good tilt column. Save you some time and sanity. I dont know if its the same in '99 but i had to change out my ignition switch too. (its exactly the same but faces the other way)
Good Luck

XJING said:
I know on the "older" XJ's you had to get the whole tilt column to get one to tilt. I have taken apart a few of these to make one good one. I will never do it again. This column goes I will pick up a straight one. Its way too much work to just take a tilt column and make it work by replacing the damaged stuff with parts from other tilt columns. And make it tight. (older columns have been know to come "loose")
So IMHO, find yourself a good tilt column. Save you some time and sanity. I dont know if its the same in '99 but i had to change out my ignition switch too. (its exactly the same but faces the other way)
Good Luck

On the 97+ they look like the tilt mechanism is an add on.
One thing I know is that you need the ignition key to release the cylinder and replace it with your own lock cylinder

Back