• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj wont start what is wrong?

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving my jeep and turned it off when waiting inline at a car wash then when it was my turn I tried to turn it on and nothing happened at all..I figured it was the battery so I tried jumping it. That didn't work..after fiddling around for a while I was able to start it by going under the vehical and holding a screwdriver to two points on the starter while someone turned the key...then when I was driving it I noticed my speedometer wasn't working and either were the lights on the dash..

Any ideas to what could be wrong?

Thanks

The starter problem is most likely to do with the brushes, though you may have an electrical problem and/or a starter relay problem. GoJeep did a good writeup on starter R&R.
Always pull the battery cables from the battery and clean them up good with a round wire brush or sand paper first. Check the battery ground at the dipstick holder and clean it up. Get all the oil off and if need be remove it and wire brush everything and tighten it.
if the starter doesn't turn over, always jiggle the shift handle a little and/or try a start in neutral. The neutral safety switch does get corroded.

Your speedometer is a spring like mechanical cable from the transfer to the gage, nothing electrical to go wrong. Most often the cable breaks after a long period of watching the needle in your speedometer jump around for months or a cable sleeve end comes unscrewed.
The dash lights have two fuses, on is the parking lamp fuse the other the illum fuse. One or the other may be burnt out. If the fuses are OK, it's most likely your headlight switch. In rare cases the cable rubs through between the headlight switch or the fuse box and the instrument cluster.
When trying to jump the starter you may have burnt up a fusible link, there are four near the starter relay. Though if a fusible link goes, you would likely have multiple system failures and a whole lot of stuff would stop working.

From the symptoms you've given you could have a problem with the wiring around the Starter Relay. Of course, it could be a bad starter relay or a bad starter solenoid.

It's here at the starter relay that the voltage is supplied to a lot of the the Jeep's electrical system. The green wire attached to the starter relay also provides ground to the starter solenoid. If this wire is damaged the starter solenoid no worky. What you did was to manually act as the starter solenoid.

well tommorow i will be taking a look and hopefully figuring it out..i just replaced the transmission, im hoping when i did that i just loosened the connection to the starter or something..

thanks for the advice i will keep everyone updated with what i find

Back