• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need to get the hell out of LA

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
help! i need out. the cost of living is on the rise and i just cant do it anymore. i am looking for advice on other areas in SoCal. i really want to stay here but the wife is talking about moving out of state (freaking Idaho cause her kids from a prev marriage have grandparents there, woohoo....:rolleyes:) HELP where are you guys living, how much is it costing you on average, and what are you doing to make ends meet?

i REALLY dont want to leave socal, but i have to do whats best for my family. this SUCKS.

I know you don't really like it man, but the 909 is crazy cheap to live. Apartments are about half as much out there, even insurance is cheaper.

TheWarWagon said:
I know you don't really like it man, but the 909 is crazy cheap to live. Apartments are about half as much out there, even insurance is cheaper.
im just looking to save some dough man, i cant hang with 1400$ a month rent for my little 2 bedroom apt anymore. i need OUT!

Rudy just bought a house in Riverside for $250K and its a 4 bed 2 bath. Its on a HUGE lot, 2 car garage, vehicle access to the back yard, they just put in brad new carpet, and painted the interior. i can get the sq. ft. if youd like. His payment is like $1850 a month or so i believe.

But houses are selling for that price and lower all over Riverside.

A guy across the the street from us is renting out a 6 bed 4 bath place for $2200 a month. Its a 3 bed 2 bath unit upstairs and a 3 bed 2 bath unit downstairs. Kinda weird setup but it would be good if you wanted to rent out the top or bottom unit.

Sorry to hear, but the cost of living is high all over.. Hey i can sell you my other house out here.. Next to palm springs :peace: It has a pool and a large RV parking with full hook up...Schools right around the corner, so is a store.. We have a couple of napa stores here too..

GrimmJeeper said:
help! i need out. the cost of living is on the rise and i just cant do it anymore. i am looking for advice on other areas in SoCal. i really want to stay here but the wife is talking about moving out of state (freaking Idaho cause her kids from a prev marriage have grandparents there, woohoo....:rolleyes:) HELP where are you guys living, how much is it costing you on average, and what are you doing to make ends meet?

i REALLY dont want to leave socal, but i have to do whats best for my family. this SUCKS.
werent you giving me shit about leaving socal because the cost of living in another thread. IM just kidding man, i know how it is and its insane. Hope all works well for you and your family..

im moved up here to portland. My job is less than a mile away from where i live. Other than that things are about the same. Gas is $3.69, and too many people..

Smittty9785 said:
im moved up here to portland. My job is less than a mile away from where i live. Other than that things are about the same. Gas is $3.69, and too many people..

1 mile == bicycle commute or walk. :)

East County San Diego isn't too bad, and there's some houses going for cheap in Escondido right now.

I live in Alabama, laugh all you want, but I live on $1000 a month and rent a house. And by live on $1000 I mean, everything......gas, food, bills etc. Of course I have no kids or wife, but gas is $3.45.

EDIT: and it's peaceful, too. We arent all running around trying to kill, rob or fuck each other over either.

i work less than a mile from my apt. gas is pricey, but that just prevents me from taking long trips. im talking rent and utilities type of expenses here. i'll lay it on the table and say im making about just under 500 a week, and ive got 3 kids. my wife gets 1400 a month from her cockass ex hub for the 2 kids she had with him, and she doesnt work. my youngest is 19 months old so we cant really afford to both work at the same time, infant care is retarded expensive. its a lose lose lose lose lose situation.

ive been trying to make it work for the last year, but its getting slow at work (i work at NAPA and nobody can afford to fix thier cars anymore, or have new cars that dont break down as often) and my hours are slowly being cut. im down from 70 hours a week to 45. i dont have time for a second job and the wife is busy bussing the kids around now that school is starting back up.

(n)

markw said:
1 mile == bicycle commute or walk. :)

East County San Diego isn't too bad, and there's some houses going for cheap in Escondido right now.

Really? Do tell.

Hehe, SSH!! I'm trying to buy there. I drove by both those places I sent you on the way home from work. The smalller place was just too damn small. The bigger place has a pool, and we really don't want one. It's tempting. If home prices keep going down, we may be buying sooner then later.

All I can say is don't move to Santa Barbara...:doh: j/k, sorry you're thinking about moving, just keep in mind that moving somewhere with a lower cost of living typically means lower salaries for the same job. I say hang in there, things are bound to pick up. :wave:

Im not sure how much the apts are out here (Jim should know) but I live in a moblie home community with my family(not trailers manufactured homes). I think its a pretty nice place. My parents bought the house in 2001 when i was 15. For the space and utilities we pay $700. Our house was 2 bedrooms and two living rooms, and then me my bro and my dad built 2 more rooms. I live here with my parents and my lil bro/sis. We have a cool little yard as well. I dont know how Napa works or if you can get transfered but theres one out here. My parents are trying to get a house. Average for a 4 or 5 bedroom is 200k

Last edited:
1 Mile = driving. my lazy ass dont walk.

GrimmJeeper said:
you and me both brother. :cheers: if i cant hit it with a rock i aint walkin to it :D
oh thats great. even if it were a rock, wouldnt you still want to drive and crawl on it. who needs to walk thats why Henry Ford invented the automobile. Americans started getting lazy a LONG time ago..

I hate the desert but it sure is a lot cheaper to live in the Coachella Valley than damn near anywhere else in So Cal... I'm out of here in December, though... Have you looked at Northern California at all???

I lived a long while in Bend, Oregon and for $900 a month you could rent out a newer 3bd house... It's still the same today but the job market kind of sucks right now... I would still look into it.

Last edited:
I feel for you Mike. I'm 48 and single and realized a long time ago I will never own a house in SoCal on a single income. But I don't have the expenses you do so I'm doing OK. It's like a profit and loss statement. You either need to increase revenue or cut expenses. Since I don't think dumping the wife and kids is an option (just joking not EVEN serious) then cutting the rent you pay is the only option I see. Or both you and the wife get real good paying jobs so you can afford daycare. Since that is not reality I suggest you move to a lower rent area. Maybe the high desert or the IE. But I have no idea about the rent there I'm just guessing it would be cheaper than $1400. Good luck man. You have some tough decisions ahead of you.

Back