• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattle canned now what?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok went to my Napa and they were able to mix me some paint for my Jeep and put it in rattle cans for me. I've put 3 coats of primer on and have wet sanded and smoothed her out with 600 grit. I've put on 4 coats on the header panel and it's looking good other then the bumpy orange peel look. I'm going to put a 5th coat on after another wet sand and was wondering how to get rid of the orange peel effect? Do I use my air buffer and some really fine compound? I need to get the clear coat on and I'm not sure if I should shoot it over that. Second I have 2 deep scratches in my other fender and rear hatch. I realize it is best to remove all the clear coat and paint the whole panel ,but I'm running out of time for my garage as I'm buying a house. Can I spot paint it and still look decent? HELP A NEWB PAINTER!!!:eeks1:

I dont know much about spot painting with spray bombs but i would suggest the whole panel. as for the orange peal i would definitely wet sand before i put on the clear coat. again i am not much for spray cans so I can only say what i would do in a regular spray situation. basic prep 180 grit then 220, then 320 on a da. then spray the base coat. color sand 440 wet, second coat, color sand again. Clear and wet sand 800, da 1000 and buff. that is my basic rundown in the body shop. things change and therefore change the way you do things but most of the time it is sufficient to get a nice smooth paint job. although most jeepers dont worry much about the straight and smooth paint job as long as it covers. Most likely going to get scratched a bit in the woods anyway.

Sean

Lots of wet sanding. When I read up on it most articles I red said to wet sand every two coats with 800. After the final coat goes on hit it with something in the 1000 range.

Back