• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker Shock Bushings

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
This is just a warning for anyone that has bought some Skyjacker shocks in the past few months.

P1020288.jpg

Apparently they had a run of bad bushings, or so Ive read on other forums. These are my nitros after less than 500 miles.

P1020289.jpg

Fortunately if you are having the same issue you can contact whoever you got them from or Skyjacker directly. I got my new ones in today, replaced all the bushings no questions asked. So if anyone else is having some shock noise and just put some of these on, check your bushings!

I was too, I mean the bushings on the shocks from my Rusty's AAL kit went over 50K miles and looked better than these ones! Fortunately I googled for the helluvit to see if there was a cheap place to get them but instead found other threads on other sites.

Dunno if the new ones they sent me will hold up any better, but it's worth a shot. They sent me 8 of them, should get me through winter :D

I can tell you that there was a big difference between the skyjacker and energy bushing that I purchased from auto zone. The skyjackers seemed very "dry" and brittle before I pressed them in.

What springs,shackles,and degree shims are you running?

Last edited:
mine did the same samething and fell to pieces the first day i installed them. i called skyjacker and they sent me 8 free replacements and i have been running them for about 2 months and they still look good. so i think it was just a bad batch or somehthing but i think they may have got it sorted out.

yeah, whoever they got their bushings from, made a bad batch. They sent quadratec a few LARGE boxes full of replacement bushings to send out with any shocks known to have bushings from the bad batch. I put one of the bad bushings and one good bushing on a bar pin, set it on a desk at work, and overnight the bad one had split open. 2 weeks later, the replacement bushing is still fine. One of our employees drove 6 miles to a buddys shop and when he got there, the bushings had disintegrated. Rumor on another forum is that RE uses the same supplier and had some bad bushings as well, but I haven't heard of any issues from RE, yet.

I too have a collection of pictures of messed up Skyjacker bushings... Those who didn't disintegrate upon installation did so over the first test drive... Quadratec sent new bushings when i told them what had happened.

Bringing this back from the dead...

Went through the same thing last summer when I installed the same shocks...Orig. Skyjacker bushings exploded with in 5 minutes of driving down the road (made for some nice noises). Called Skyjacker and was sent replacements immediately, only to have them do the same damn thing. Went to Napa and got some bushings from an OEM Replacement shock and they've worked for about a year, but now they're cracked and I believe are whats causing one of my front end clunks. I've been looking on Quadratec's website and can't seem to find the ones I swear I saw on there last month.

Those who replaced them with Quadratec bushings, which ones did you use?

For a couple months, Quadratec had a huge supply of good bushings. Skyjacker sent them a few thousand individual bushings. I think they ran out in the fall, though. They have lifetime warranties, try calling Skyjacker and asking for new bushings.

Guess i'll have to try that again. I've got a couple of the replacements they sent me last time burried on my desk somewhere...they were hard as a rock and real dry right out of the bag which is why I chose not to put them on.

were they a darker red than the original bushings? I know it's hard to tell now, but side by side, the "good" bushings are a noticeably darker red. When I worked at Qtec, I kept one of each at the counter so I could check before my customers left. :)

were they a darker red than the original bushings? I know it's hard to tell now, but side by side, the "good" bushings are a noticeably darker red. When I worked at Qtec, I kept one of each at the counter so I could check before my customers left. :)

Nope, they were the same color red as the ones that came with the shocks.

Back