• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In the market for tires

Zice

NAXJA Forum User
I know this subject has been beaten over many of times but I cant find what Im looking for through searching... so here she blows...

Im looking for the 35 inch mud terrain tire, that will wear the slowest, be the lightest, perform offroad the best, and be the cheapest... all rolled into one... give a little take a little to put which one you think would be the one its rolled into... Its mostly going to be DailyDriven and wheel maybe twice a month...

so?

Personally, I'd have two sets, one set of AT's for DD and the MT's for off roading. Ten to fifteen minutes with floor jack and two jackstands. Just on a side note, a co-worker has a 06 Rubicon with the GY MT's. I looked at it yesterday and in 6 months they are about 60% worn and the GY's are supposed to be good DD tires..

Last edited:
Zice said:
wear the slowest
BFG MTs or GY MTRs, just make sure you rotate them every 3K.
be the lightest
BFG MTs, definitely. SS Trxus are stupid-heavy.
perform offroad the best
SS Trxus or BFG MT all around. If it's just rocks then GY MTR.
and be the cheapest...
SS Trxus
all rolled into one...
BFG MT.
Since you DD this thing and only wheel 2x a month, I'd say go for the BFGs. They have great road manners. SS Trxus aren't a bad choice, but from what I've seen from a few people they wear fairly quickly, and they weigh a ton.

I run trxus and they are great on and of road. Also it looks like I'll get alot of miles out of them. However everyone is right, they weigh a ton. I love them though and would buy again in a heart beat.

I run 33x12.50 bfg mts on my daily driver and can keep up with outrageously built trucks on most trails, and i run open diffs, if you are going to run a locker or two you could take a chunk out of your tire life, bfg has the best overall tire

Zice said:
I know this subject has been beaten over many of times but I cant find what Im looking for through searching... so here she blows...

Im looking for the 35 inch mud terrain tire, that will wear the slowest, be the lightest, perform offroad the best, and be the cheapest... all rolled into one... give a little take a little to put which one you think would be the one its rolled into... Its mostly going to be DailyDriven and wheel maybe twice a month...

so?
Over the years (about 20, now) I've had several different kinds of tires (BFG, MTR, Yokohoma, TrXus, Dunlop, Pro Comp and most recently....Kumho) on three different vehicles (XJ, Toyota p/u and early Bronco) My favorite do it all tire would have to be the TrXus M/Ts. The tires with the most problems (sidewall failures)......BFG. Recently, however, I bought a set of Kumho M/Ts because they were cheap and wear well on the street as, my Toyota is also my daily driver/work truck (it's got a crawler and is locked up at both ends so, it get's wheeled pretty hard as well) well, I've been pleasantly suprised! They work really well offroad (they can really take a beating and I'm not easy on tires) and after about 25,000 miles, show hardly any wear at all (I bought 5 and rotate them, spare included, every 5,000 miles) the best apart about it is, I paid $130 a piece for 35s. Sorry for the long reply but, just wanted to relay that I've had plenty to compare to and not just going by "what I've heard" So, the Kumho's should fulfill all of your requirements........Hans

Last edited:
I am with you on that one, I have heard nothing but good things about the Kumho's and for the price you can't beat them. My lift should be here tomorrow and when I get the some more money saved I will be getting a set, I just can't decide which mt... they have that new one that looks really sweet haven't heard much about it though

BRADFORDXJ said:
I am with you on that one, I have heard nothing but good things about the Kumho's and for the price you can't beat them. My lift should be here tomorrow and when I get the some more money saved I will be getting a set, I just can't decide which mt... they have that new one that looks really sweet haven't heard much about it though

That new tire does look like a good choice, the only problem is they don't offer anything bigger than a 33 for a 15" rim, or even a 16" rim.

I work at an NTB, I see lots of different m/t's on truck that never see off road. I have seen bfg's wear out in 15k and seen them last 60k. It is solely on how well you take care of them. ROTATE!!! religiously, make sure alignment is in specs, keep tires balanced. Provided you do all that, the tire will get the best possible wear. I have seen the absolute best mileage on Dunlop Mud Rovers and they are extremly cheap, do very well in the mud and pretty good on rocks. When i bought my XJ, it had mud rovers with about 40k, and still a good 40% left on the tread. I have Goodyear MT/R's now, they have a little over 10k and still have a good 85% tread. And they do very well in the mud and awesome on rocks. For off road traction, not much will compare to a Swamper but you give up a lot for them, be it price, quality of ride or longevity of tread. But selling the main streams as long as I have I would say go with the Dunlop or the Goodyear, both geat choices and cheaper than a swamper, expecially the Dunlop. Hope i helped.

play_in_the_mud said:
I work at an NTB, I see lots of different m/t's on truck that never see off road. I have seen bfg's wear out in 15k and seen them last 60k. It is solely on how well you take care of them. ROTATE!!! religiously, make sure alignment is in specs, keep tires balanced. Provided you do all that, the tire will get the best possible wear. I have seen the absolute best mileage on Dunlop Mud Rovers and they are extremly cheap, do very well in the mud and pretty good on rocks. When i bought my XJ, it had mud rovers with about 40k, and still a good 40% left on the tread. I have Goodyear MT/R's now, they have a little over 10k and still have a good 85% tread. And they do very well in the mud and awesome on rocks. For off road traction, not much will compare to a Swamper but you give up a lot for them, be it price, quality of ride or longevity of tread. But selling the main streams as long as I have I would say go with the Dunlop or the Goodyear, both geat choices and cheaper than a swamper, expecially the Dunlop. Hope i helped.
I agree with what you're saying, except for the part about the MT/Rs being good in mud. I've only seen a few people do alright with them in the sticky, but other than that they fail. My fondest memory of MT/Rs was pulling out a Rubicon who got stuck in a 1' deep hole because his MT/Rs wouldn't self-clean well enough.

Anyway - x2 on the Mud Rovers. Great tire. Since you've seen a lot of them in person, what do you think about the sidewalls? I've only heard about these tires, and when I do it's usually people saying they don't hold up well in rocks because of a weak wall.

Another x2 on the BFGs. Mine are at almost 15K and are holding up great, but are wearing a little funny because of bad alignment (my fault).

i have heard good things about the mud rovers and have experienced good things about the bfg muds on a blazer that got alot of street use. but my over all was i liked mud kings which i hd great experience on the rocks and especially on hill climbs. and they do well in the mud by self cleaning. i had them on an early bronco and i will probly go back to the mud king when i put tires on my xj. they are relatively cheap too $140 for 35s from big O

just my 0.02

I've had traxus MT's almost a year, good on road/mud/snow don't know about rocks. About 40% tread left, 3 of the tires are great,one has had a busted belt or is out of round... The local 4 WHEEL PARTS where I bought them and the warrantee, says there is nothing wrong and would never replace it. They also always have an excuse for not being able to rotate and balance them under the warrantee, usually takes about 3 trips in before they can get to it, and the know all salesman really earked me with the lecture on "not rotating the tires enough" on one of the manny 3rd trips in when I was complaning about the tire needing replaced. In summary, I like the tires and would buy them again. I dislike 4 WHEEL PARTS and will never spend another cent in one of their stores.

I have Trxus M/ts on it now but there alot smaller than what Im looking for (285x85r16) there around a 33x10 and on my TJ (sorry) which had 35's on it they look too small... They are wearing pretty fast though...

I saw some timberline m/t's on a jeep the other day and they looked really good, anyone know anything about these?

Last edited:
Back