• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 XJs

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
My Pops is going to be looking at a 1987 manuel xj with 190,000 some miles on it. I understand there are many variables but does anyone have anything to say about the year, miles, or reacoring issues with this. The guys is asking $2,000

first off... completely wrong area for this thread, so alot of people might overlook you. anyways.

87 manual tranny is gonna be the puegoet (sp?) commonly known as the puke-goat. unless its been swapped. these tend to go at near 200k or earlier. and dont take to large tires well. if its going bad it should be rather squealy and loud. especailly in 5th.

is it the 4.0 i6? that engine wont care how many miles are on it. it shuold be fine. probably leakin oil bad like all jeeps.

on the upside... 87s sometimes (or was it all the time?) came with dana44 rear axles.

watch for rusty floorboards.

$2000 for an 87??

i almost bought another 90 with cold A/C, leather and all the goodies for $1800, but he was asking too much.

that rigs not worth more than $1200 i dont care what condition its in.

-Tim

Ive got an 87,purchased it knowing I was probably going to change axles.I couldn't see very well,it was a night(Yes I bought i blind).Decided to buy it and what do you know.Ive got a d44 and an hpdana30.Almost in mint condition.Yes 87 came w/a 44 in them I think up to 89.Purchased mine for abou $2000.

Not all 87's come with D44's, i used to own one with a D35. And 2 grand does sound like too much $ for that year and that many miles

need4speedjp said:
Keep looking

or talk him down, but dont get ripped off. even if it does have a dana 44 and good interior, i would stay around 1200 or 1300.

if you want a dana 44 that badly, go to a junkyard. i pulled one from a '88 pioneer for $75 at pull-a-part in atlanta.

-Tim

My dads really looking for something to leave stock and tow behind his motor home. All of your points are really helpful.

Back