• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Shift Knov Removal

Bstd_02_Wgn

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found tons on the manual knob removal, but I havent found anything to confident on removing the AUTO shift knob from my cherokee.

Its a 2000 Cherokee Sport, and I need to reuse the knob after removing it, so I don't want to destroy it. Anyone have any ideas/references? Thanks!

Ian:wave1:

Grab it. Pull it. Hit yourself in the face or bounce your knuckles off the dash after it comes free. Next time you do it remember to put it in 1-2 or 3 to avoid step 3.

Maybe a blow dryer then. I tried your approach, even with a dead blow and a adjustable wrench...The bolts for the suspension came right out, I cant imagine this should be as hard as it is.....will try again

Thanks for the advice on step 3 too...Its fight club in the driveway...

It's always tight the first time...

:D

That may be your problem, no problems with the suspension bolts being rusted. You've got to pay in blood to work on these at some point ;)

I'm trying to pull mine as well. Is there any way to tap up on it using a rubber mallet to avoid getting punched in the face? I haven't tried yet, just wondering.

Wouldn't it be wicked to have worked in the jeep factory and used super glue on one out of every hundred shifter knobs you install - just sowing the seeds for decades of future mayhem?

92xjsp said:
Wouldn't it be wicked to have worked in the jeep factory and used super glue on one out of every hundred shifter knobs you install - just sowing the seeds for decades of future mayhem?

:roflmao:

I have heard of a mercedes having mysterious rattles that could never be found, turned out it was a few extra bolts just on the inside of the door, from the factory.

-Alex

I put it in first, hopped in the back seat and pulled hard, Had one hell of a time getting the grand cherokee handle on there but I'm very please with it

Back