• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NW Wa shooting spree

Blkxjkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone see this on the news? Guy kills a sheriffs deputy then proceeds to go on a rampage up and down I5 killing five more and wounding 2.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/354/story/531847.html

This all went down along the roads I drive to and from work this afternoon. I literally just drove through about 8 miles of crime scene investigation. the scariest part was that my wife and son were driving up to Bellingham to see me this afternoon while all this was going down. Wife shows up and says "Hey, why would 9 staters pass me with their lights on?" I get home tonight and find out why. Sorry but my heart is still in my throat with all the "What ifs"
-Ryan

Crazy isn't it. I was going through all the names of the people I know that travels through that area.

So I just heard back from my sister a while ago, she went up to Bellingham and passed through Mt. Vernon right after it happened. Crazy what goes on these days.

-Alex

Just more proof that more people need to carry concealed; idiots like this guy and the Tacoma Mall gunman might think twice if they thought there was a chance we'd shoot back.

Of course, that's assuming there's a rational thought process going on upstairs. :wierd:

Ryan, very glad to hear that you and the fam are safe and sound.

- Jay

You guys and your "Packin" argument again :twak:
Comon Jay (I hope you understand this is NOT about you Jay, I am just useing you as an example), you really think that any less people would have died from stray bullets if those people had gun's with them? Really!!

Two of the people shot HAD gun's!! If I am not misunderstood (mix match of stories in the news), it was the first police officer who's gun was used in the rest of the shootings!!

By definition, when someone goes on a shooting spree like this; they are not thinking rationally, and they don't care about what happens to them (getting shot, or any other reprocutions).

The best we can do is to be aware of our suroundings as much as possible and be compasionate about both the victims and shooter (as well as their families and support system).

Guns don't protect best agains guns :nono:

pSYChedXJ said:
Just more proof that more people need to carry concealed; idiots like this guy and the Tacoma Mall gunman might think twice if they thought there was a chance we'd shoot back.

Of course, that's assuming there's a rational thought process going on upstairs. :wierd:

Ryan, very glad to hear that you and the fam are safe and sound.

- Jay

2xtreme said:
You guys and your "Packin" argument again :twak:
Comon Jay (I hope you understand this is NOT about you Jay, I am just useing you as an example), you really think that any less people would have died from stray bullets if those people had gun's with them? Really!!

Two of the people shot HAD gun's!! If I am not misunderstood (mix match of stories in the news), it was the first police officer who's gun was used in the rest of the shootings!!

By definition, when someone goes on a shooting spree like this; they are not thinking rationally, and they don't care about what happens to them (getting shot, or any other reprocutions).

The best we can do is to be aware of our suroundings as much as possible and be compasionate about both the victims and shooter (as well as their families and support system).

Guns don't protect best agains guns :nono:

All good points Michael, and I don't disagree with you. It's fun to revisit this topic from time to time to see the points made on both side of the coin.

I think of it as a deterrent more than anything. My hope is that encouraging/advertising responsible firearm ownership makes the "bad guys" think twice before they assume they have the upper-hand simply by wielding a firearm. Unfortunately, your 100% right about these wackos and their complete disregard for everything. You can't assume they'll think/reason/react like your average Joe. I suppose it would be a more effective strategy against the "thug" instead of the "psycho."

When I got my permit in NC, they made me sit through a weekend-long class about the Do's/Don'ts of CCW and the legal ramifications if you're ever unfortunate enough to discharge your weapon in self-defense. They also made us demonstrate we knew the in's and out's of our weapons, including a marksmanship test. I saw 25% of the class get dropped because it appeared that this was the first time they'd handled a firearm. :scared: . The instructors made it clear that you'd better be prepared for the possibility of jail-time and a trial to prove you acted in self-defense. As that old saying goes, "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

Definitely, thoughts and prayers go out to the poor victims and their families, and even the perp's family who now must bear the guilt of what this guy did.

- Jay

:lecture: I think you and I are both on the same page and agree there are several "topics" that I often bring back up from time to time !!!1

I don't have any issues with gun ownership and I believe they have their place in our society.

My comment "guns don't protect best agains guns" is exactly that, a comment. Many will disregard it, but it is worth thinking about. Why do you think we have Nuclear wepons! But not sure that even the deterent of a knife, gun, attack aircraft, missles, nukes, etc has ever proven to work, either against a "thug", wako, other country, dictator, etc!

Personally I will do my best to keep out of the way of these situations and will protect myself the best way I know how if I have to, and always try to be compasionate for those who find their way to these unfortunate situations.

Phil, There is a defense for every weapon :lecture: most of the time our brain is the best defense!

Michael

Back