• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STRANDED: Can I bypass the A/C with a different belt?

Audnorge

NAXJA Forum User
OK it seems my A/C clutch bearing froze and burned and then threw off the belt. (OK, you can smack me up side my head, because it has been making a screeching noise for a few days, but the compressor was still working.)

I don't have the three plus bills to replace the compressor, etc., etc. I was hoping I could get a shorter belt, if it's possible and just bypass the compressor. Need to know if this is possible to get on the road and if so what size belt do I get? Part numbers would be sweet, I'm in a small town and my need to get a belt sent.

Oh, 2000 XJ, 4.0l, A/C of course.

Thanks Aud

No, not easily. If you simply use a shorter belt the alternator & water pump will run backwards. there are different ways to do this, all have been covered in depth, use the advanced search feature & take your pick of methods.

Zuki-Ron said:
I know Bypass pulleys are available for early models.

I searched the web using "2000 Jeep Cherokee air conditioning bypass pulley"
and came up with this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5599011

HTH
This was where I got the info last year when I did my sons A/C delete. At that time they only had 91/93 bypass pulley & it told me how to modify it.The one I did before that I used non air YJ stuff & it was a pita. This is good info.

I know on my YJ you could bypass the AC pump by simply buying a non AC belt. No other mods needed. I assume (we all know where that usually gets you ) that an XJ is the same way.

Ray H said:
I know on my YJ you could bypass the AC pump by simply buying a non AC belt. No other mods needed. I assume (we all know where that usually gets you ) that an XJ is the same way.

Don't assume. Non-AC XJs use a pulley in place of the compressor. The reasons are mentioned above. Thanks for your contribution. :wierd:

ECKSJAY said:
Don't assume. Non-AC XJs use a pulley in place of the compressor. The reasons are mentioned above. Thanks for your contribution. :wierd:

Any time I can help.

ECKSJAY said:
I learned something about YJs today. :clap:

When I added an OBA to my YJ, no A/C 2.5L, I had to not only add the compressor, but another idler, and a longer belt.

OOPS! This is XJ tech. Bad Ron. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Excellent, thanks guys. You probably saved me a lot of trouble trying to go with a shorter belt. I found the Bypass pulley on line and ordered it $29.99 plus overnite chearges. I'll deal with the AC compressor later.

THANKS!

Aud

Zuki-Ron said:
When I added an OBA to my YJ, no A/C 2.5L, I had to not only add the compressor, but another idler, and a longer belt.

OOPS! This is XJ tech. Bad Ron. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Exactly. Just the opposite, if you remove or bypass the AC compressor and bypass the idler, you can run a short non AC belt. Thats the only difference between AC and non AC. You dont need to add anything extra to run the non AC belt, just bypass what you dont need.
I thought the part numbers for the belts for an XJ and YJ were the same. If not, I am mistaken and am sorry.

YJ water pumps have a different offset & the clutch fan mounts to it. You have to use all the accesories and the pump to make this setup work on an XJ. I had access to a complete YJ 4.0 engine when I did this conversion. It was a pain & I don't advise doing it this way, unless of course you have a complete parts engine & don't know any better.

Back