• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8 hour drive, 490 miles, lots of heat!!!

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So on my way back to CT on friday i noticed alot, alot, of heat coming from my e-brake lever. To the point where it was uncomfortable to the touch. Alot of heat was also eminating from the tranny tunnel but the the shifter itself never even got warm. When i got out after my trip the t-case and tranny could not be touched for more than a couple of seconds. On the trip back monday, i had the same problems followed by an oil leak from the passenger side of the block around the oil sending unit and filter area. I only lost 1 quart and since i topped off it has not leaked again. I dont know if a seal let go from the heat or where the oil could have come from since it was all down the frame rail and on the starter, but no further up than the sending unit. The tranny and t-case on the other hand, checked both fluid levels and they were good. I don't know if there is a pump in my AX-15 to move fluid around or if it just sloshes around. I don't know what could be causing all of this heat.

--clutch starting to slip will generate a butt-ton of heat.
--rich mixture dumping extra fuel into exhaust can cause it to burn in the coverter and make lots-o-heat
--lean mixture can cause high combustion temps which can super-heat the entire exhaust on a long trip
--plugged muffler or converter can cause back pressure and heat

I'd give it a good bath on the undes side and take it out for a 30-40 minute trip and see if you can replicate the problem.

Auto or manual tranny?

My XJ get hot at the tranny tunnel. The parking brake lever also get hot. I don't know about the break cables though because they are under the carpeting. The mechanicals on the XJ seem to among the hottest I can remember. I do not have an over heating engine or AW4, yet it seems as if they runn hottet since I replaced the mechanical fan with electrical fans. At highway speeds, the fans do not run. I guess that results in less air flow over everything.

mine does the same thing, I have a 5 speed too, and on long trips there is always heat coming from that area. I was thinking of making a heat shield for that area. I have a newer CAT and a newer clutch so i know its not that.

Thanks for the info. I was just concerned. My engine temp never gets over 200 soo the motor is ok. As for the oil leak it hasn't since leaked, so once again it might just be one of those things. It does have 209,000 miles on it and still runs strong.

Back