• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having the right tools oil sender socket

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Needed to replace the oil pressure sending unit on the 2.5L TJ. Got the sender and then started looking around my tool box, Dam, no 1 1/16 ANYTHING, no open, no box, no sockets, the 1 1/16 deep socket I have is a 12 pt and it won't grab the sender with it's rounded edges. Daughter stopped at Sears on the way home and picked one up, it's a deep 1/2" 1 1/16" 6 pt ratchet socket, the 12 just won't grab it.

Always easier to do the job with the right tools....
Thats where the saying came from... "Right Tool for the Job".
That saying can apply to so many things....

CharlesS said:
Always easier to do the job with the right tools....
Thats where the saying came from... "Right Tool for the Job".
That saying can apply to so many things....

Damn having the right tool for the Job. It breaks my bank thats for sure! haha But, there is no better feeling then having to buy a new tool for a project.

Crabapple said:
Damn having the right tool for the Job. It breaks my bank thats for sure! haha But, there is no better feeling then having to buy a new tool for a project.

It's even better to have someone else buy it for your project :D :D :D :D :D

However I am probably going to spring for an O2 socket, I'm thinking of replacing my 98's O2 sensors, after all they do have 380,000 miles on them and I want to see if I can get it back up to over 23mpg from it's current 19mpg.
Plus the 97ZJ is coming up with a CEL light every once in a while that says 'high voltage on bank 2' I think. So a rear sensor may be in the cards for it...

Last edited:
It might not be the right tool, but I have always wrapped a rag around the sender and then used some channel locks over the rag. I've done it many times and haven't damaged one yet. Does the 2.5's sender look any diffrent than the 4.0?

Jess said:
It might not be the right tool, but I have always wrapped a rag around the sender and then used some channel locks over the rag. I've done it many times and haven't damaged one yet. Does the 2.5's sender look any diffrent than the 4.0?

They look the same eyeball wise, I also seem to remember it was the same part number at the parts store.

Jess said:

Ditto. It's not like it has to be super tight.

Blaine B. said:
Adjustable wrench worked just fine when I did mine, and on the other 3 XJ's that I got sending units from at the junkyard!

The 2.5 oil sending unit sits straight up and down between the back of the alt and the side of the dizzy, with a box wrench you only have about 3" of throw and you need a special shorty, the socket was cheaper at $11 vs like $19 for a shorty box/open.

Sounds like the perfect place for a strap wrench. All you have to do is break it loose anyway and can turn the extra 2-3 turns by hand, right?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
Sounds like the perfect place for a strap wrench. All you have to do is break it loose anyway and can turn the extra 2-3 turns by hand, right?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I'm leery of using strap wrenches on plastic housings, the socket worked just a minor annoyance of having to wait for someone to buy the socket for me.

Oh, goody, so there really IS a use for this dam 1-1/16 socket that is part of the set I had to buy so I could get a stupid 1-3/16 for the transfer case drain plug. Every time I see them I curse the manufacturers/engineer-developers - I mean, with bolts that big, why can't everybody just choose to use either 1 or 1-1/4? Does the extra or lesser sixteenth make that much difference in the physical suitability of the design? Or is it just a way to sell more tools?

Oh, well. I suppose big tractor-trailers probably have parts attached by 2-7/16th bolts and 4-23/64th bolts and so on.

P.S. Rich I agree with the right tool for the job theory - I hate having to use adjustables and vise grips and so on.

RichP said:
Plus the 97ZJ is coming up with a CEL light every once in a while that says 'high voltage on bank 2' I think. So a rear sensor may be in the cards for it...
Look at the converter before you replace the sensor.....I went through this same thing for 2 years with my XJ trying to track down why the CEL was coming on for the same code (p0138). I refused to replace the sensor until I could actually catch the stupid thing throwing a bogus reading....never could catch it every time I hooked the scanner up, and I had it down to a science as to when it would come on (usually with real short trips).

Replaced the converter and haven't seen it but twice since....and it's come on because of extremely short distance trips where the engine didn't get warmed up all the way.

tigerShark said:
does harbour freight carry this tool?

No idea, but it would cost me $20 in gas to go down to the nearest one to look.
$11 at sears was cheaper and my daughter used her gas :D Plus I prefer 6 point sockets anyway. The 12 point socket would not hold the Sorensen sending unit I was putting in but it did hold the one that was in there, the 6 point held both. I initially tried to get a socket that would fit it when I bought it but the one that advanced had while the correct size was not deep enough, the Sears one is.

Back