• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which header??

killer98xjsport

NAXJA Forum User
My stock exhaust manifold cracked like they all do. So I replaced it with an edlebrock header, lasted about two years and cracked. Just want to see which headers eveyone's used that hold up before i buy a new one. Even welded the edlebrock backup and cracked agian.

A number of NAXJA members have had good luck with the APN header.

Unfortunately, I have my 2001 XJ lifted 3.5, and I had trouble with exhaust leak.

I have been spending time looking for a good right price exhaust header for my jeep. Some says APN, Banks, Borla, are good, but I cannot find a damn page for this.

I kept search and search for right parts for my jeep. Can anyone point me a good vendor to order parts from?

Thanks,

killer98xjsport said:
My stock exhaust manifold cracked like they all do. So I replaced it with an edlebrock header, lasted about two years and cracked. Just want to see which headers eveyone's used that hold up before i buy a new one. Even welded the edlebrock backup and cracked agian.

How are your motor mounts? Is your engine torque pulling on the exhaust?

I just Installed the APN header this weekend. I noticed a huge increase in low end torque over the stock. And now my Air/Fuel ratio gauge reads stoich when cursing. You cant beat $150 shipped. took me about Two hours to install including washing the Jeep too.:patriot:

KryptoniteXJ said:
I just Installed the APN header this weekend. I noticed a huge increase in low end torque over the stock. And now my Air/Fuel ratio gauge reads stoich when cursing. You cant beat $150 shipped. took me about Two hours to install including washing the Jeep too.:patriot:

How did you reach those bolts under the intake? It took me a good 8 hours, and 1 bolt took 45 mintues!

BTW, I bought and installed the Rugged Ridge header. I think it was $160. Sounds a lot better. :D

If you're still cracking exhaust manifolds, check your motor mounts, transmission mount, *AND* the exhaust hanger at the transmission crossmember.

ChiXJeff said:
If you're still cracking exhaust manifolds, check your motor mounts, transmission mount, *AND* the exhaust hanger at the transmission crossmember.
a flex pipe would help. could put it between the header and the down pipe.

Mudderoy said:
How did you reach those bolts under the intake? It took me a good 8 hours, and 1 bolt took 45 mintues!

BTW, I bought and installed the Rugged Ridge header. I think it was $160. Sounds a lot better. :D
the rugged ridge, banks torque tube, and the APN are all a very similar design. i figured the least expensive was the way to go.

Mudderoy said:

That was the hardest part of the install. I had a few good tools at my disposal. Like a Two foot 3/8 extension, swivel and 9/16 deep and short. But to get to the ones under the intake I used an 8 inch 9/16 combination wrench and I have long arms.:cool:

I've goen thru three of the orginal Bank style headers before switching over to a Pace-Setter long-tube design. Granted Banks always replaced their cracked one with a new one, but I wanted something that got id of the factory crushed down tube, and the Pace-setter was the most econmical set-up.

I use a ratchet wrench for those bolts under the intake--it's still a tight squeeze to get your hand up there but is way easier than a ratchet/socket/squiggly combo.

WoW 2 Hours very impressed. I managed it in about 6 the first time. But cracked my intake as i didn't have it lined up on the pins correctly. That got pricey an extra 175 bucks. The second intake had the bottom half of the part that lined up already broke off so it was only a half circle which made it very easy to line up. But even theni t took me 4 hrs. I used a Bank torque tube that someone else had sitting around as sold his jeep before putting in on. Works great, been a year now no problems. But yeah i heard that the APN is a knock off of the the banks. Only problem for me was shipping to canada and brokerage fees, or I would have gone that way.

Doug Thorley ceramic coated, lasted 3 years so far, no issues.

Thanks guys, the hyperlink was shown earlier and it was not correct year, I need 2001 headers, not 1999. And the brands... I assume each brands are good, just price difference...

Anyone who has 2001 XJ with new headers, please let me know where did you find it.

And about the motor mount, it is stock, and look okay to me. What do I need to look at to see if it is okay or not? Just in case you might want to know I have installed 1 inches tranny drop from skyjacker.

Anyone know? I have money sitting waiting to spend on my jeep :)

Back