• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle spline count upgrading: questions...

5spd_xj

<<the good ol days
NAXJA Member
i'm considering upgrading my rear xj44 to 33 spline. i currently have 4.88s, an aussie, and stock shafts. i'm also in the middle of doing a front 44 build... what i'm wondering is what exactly is involved with this upgrade? will i need to simply buy the 33 spline shafts, get rid of my aussie and buy a 33 spline carrier/spool/locker? or will i also need a new master install kit to re set the gears? i'm wondering because i'm on the fence with going into the 5's, either 5.13 or 5.38. if i will be buying everything else anyway to upgrade to the 33 spline rears i'm thinking i might as well just go deeper with the gears, unless i'm missing something? any input would be greatly appreciated.

...i did try a quick search, but without much luck in relation to my situation. thanks in advance :)

You wont have to reset the pinion depth and preload. All you will need to do is check and set your backlash and carrier bearing preload. Thats alot easier than doing it all. Im not sure if the 33 kit requires bigger carrier bearings or not but I would budget for new ones if it doesnt because you will have to remove the old ones to get to the shims either way (actually Im not even sure if the 33 kit requires bigger carrier shims either). You will need 33 shafts, locker and axle bearings, seals and possibly carrier bearings. All your pinion stuff wont need to be changed so I wouldnt get a whole master install kit.

gotcha. yup, that makes sense, i just needed to hear it from someone else :). and, i think i'm going to stay with 4.88 in the axles to make sure the pinion gear isn't too small and prone to failing...

Back