• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yukon shafts and Aussie need inner seals?

DubJ311

NAXJA Forum User
I know Im gonna catch hell for this but I cant help it. Ive searched and searched to find the answer to this question and cant seem to find anything. We installed Yukon 4340 axle shafts and an aussie locker in my non diso D30 this weekend and Im wondering if I need to replace the inner axle shaft seals. Im not so sure that they need to be replaced or not, I just figured why not while I was in there. We had to take the carrier out to install the aussie locker, but Ive heard that these seals are a PITA to replace and that you need a special tool to get em out. Should I bolt it back up and run it like it is or replace em? Thanks.
Jason

i wouldn't say you NEED to replace them, but it certainly couldn't hurt. i had to do mine last summer because the shop i bought my jeep from changed the axle shaft u-joints and i don't think they put the shafts back in very carefully... anyway, it was kind of a pain. it's not hard to get the old ones out, but getting the new ones in would be a pain without the right tool or some sort of way to cheat having the right tool. i ended up rigging up a threaded press that mounted to the unit bearing mounting points and a few long tubes and then had a short section of tube that fit in the groove on the inside of the seal and pressed the passenger side in from the driver's side and vice versa. trickiest part was getting everything lined up and having it go in straight. also note that whichever side you do first, you'll have to have a tube or something small enough to fit through the seal you just pressed in to do the other side. hope that helped.

The seals on a non-disco are on the inside lip of the axle tube inside the housing, and are not real difficult to do.

If Yukon was nice enough to send seals, I'd say "why not". If you have to go buy a set, and yours are not leaking, I'd lean toward "why bother".

when i put an aussie in my 95 xj my seals were almost toast. i changed them later when i regeared.

Back