• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 chain

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
so, ive been told by the people at Texas Rock crawlers that my transfer case chain is stretched over 221,xxx miles and due to this, makes alot of noise.

does any one have a new chain i could buy? or have suggestions of where i can get one at a decent price?

Any good drivetrain shop should be able to get an NP231J chain. I'd start at one of the NAXJA drivetrain sponsors, or National Drivetrain, or J&B Conversions.

If you've got an extra few bucks, think about replacing the sprockets as well. Get them for an NP231D transfer case, along with the chain for it. They'll fit without any modification, and you end up with a wider, stronger chain.

might as well buy the SYE kit while i got the transfer case open.

<cha-ching> Don't forget about the new rear D/S.......

It does make sense to do it all at once.

When you reassemble it, make darned sure that the pick-up tube is still in the gear pump. Otherwise, you'll be splitting the case in short order, and replacing more parts.

ChiXJeff said:
When you reassemble it, make darned sure that the pick-up tube is still in the gear pump. Otherwise, you'll be splitting the case in short order, and replacing more parts.

I always thought this was a horrible setup. It seems like it could slide out really easily. You think there'd be some way to lock it in?

If you're going to be doing the sye there's a couple of options for you depending on how much you want to spend for added strength. One option is buying a wide chain kit for the 231 which usually run about $300 another is find a NP205 in a fullsize chevy as the chain and sprockets in them can be swapped over and are about 1/2" wider.

If you're going to be doing the sye there's a couple of options for you depending on how much you want to spend for added strength. One option is buying a wide chain kit for the 231 which usually run about $300 another is find a NP205 in a fullsize chevy as the chain and sprockets in them can be swapped over and are about 1/2" wider.

Can someone give me an application to order a new WIDER chain and sprockets from? I've given up on my 242, I have a 231 I would like to rebuild and install terra 2 low kit into.

The NP205 does NOT have a chain. It is a gear to gear transfer case.

Ok I could have sworn I read somewhere about using the chain from a 205 to upgrade the 231.

Back