• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x10.50R15 TSL Radials

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running these tires? My BFG MT/KM's (33x12.50R15) don't have a whole lot of life left and I was thinking of replacing them with these. The TSL's are $159 from 4wheelparts while the bfg's are a little more. What's the treadlife on the tsl's? Is going with a narrower tire going to help with gas mileage, even in the tiniest aspect?

Did you like the BFG MTs? They also come in 33x10.50. How many miles did you get out of those? Were they good on the road. You should be able to answer your own question. BFGs are known for good road manners. Is it worth a few bucks to down grade?

no idea, but tirerack.com the BFG's are listed at 159.99 too.

I run tsl radials on my daily driver w/e warrior.
If you want to be able to talk/hear in your vehicle, or have the slightest concern about tread life, keep looking.
If you don't mind screaming, and buying new tires evey ~15~K they are great...

tsl for offroad are great but there a lot softer compound,so they don't last long on the road. Bfg's are a good all around tire you will lose a little off roading but it's worth it if you drive it everyday.

Mike H. said:
I run tsl radials on my daily driver w/e warrior.
If you want to be able to talk/hear in your vehicle, or have the slightest concern about tread life, keep looking.
If you don't mind screaming, and buying new tires evey ~15~K they are great...

Second that! loudest radial on the market!!! They wear real fast to, I watch tread fall off every freeway trip

TSLs are great (bias plys are better) for wheeling, but what you gain in traction you lose in tread life!! After I drive my TSLs down the highway I touch them and they're hot and sticky.

Narrower does not always mean better gas mileage. You have to consider rolling resistance. The more aggressive tread design of the TSL will more than likely create a much higher amount of rolling resistance the the BFG that is designed more with on road manners in mind.

00Classic said:
Narrower does not always mean better gas mileage. You have to consider rolling resistance. The more aggressive tread design of the TSL will more than likely create a much higher amount of rolling resistance the the BFG that is designed more with on road manners in mind.

Hmm, not trying to disagree with you, but wondering. Wouldn't the weight of having 2 inch narrower tires outweigh the difference in tread design would have on rolling resistance?

Crabapple said:
Hmm, not trying to disagree with you, but wondering. Wouldn't the weight of having 2 inch narrower tires outweigh the difference in tread design would have on rolling resistance?

I was basing this on the current 33/12.50R15 he is running. The TSL 10.50 is about 10lbs lighter the the BFG 12.50. I may not make any difference at all. The BFG 33/10.50R15 in comparison only weighs 48lbs. In theory the lighter tire should be more efficient but when you pair it with the aggressive tread blocks and softer compound of the TSL it probably won't make a difference. Now it he stayed with the BFG MT he would be more likely to see a difference in MPG but not much.

Correction: I looked at the weight of the 35" BFG. The 33/12.50R15 is only 55lbs which makes it the same weight as the 33/10.50R15 TSL.

Last edited:
00Classic said:
I was basing this on the current 33/12.50R15 he is running. The TSL 10.50 is about 10lbs lighter the the BFG 12.50. I may not make any difference at all. The BFG 33/10.50R15 in comparison only weighs 48lbs. In theory the lighter tire should be more efficient but when you pair it with the aggressive tread blocks and softer compound of the TSL it probably won't make a difference. Now it he stayed with the BFG MT he would be more likely to see a difference in MPG but not much.

I'll buy it :confused1

dellstopjeep said:
They wear real fast to, I watch tread fall off every freeway trip

Try out some crawlers!! :wave1: Depending on the length of the trip and other conditions, i have literally seen tread patches on the pavement after pulling into a parking space at rest areas :eyes:

But, to stay on topic. I ran TSL radials on my jeep as a DD, and for me, they were a good compromise. I wheel my jeep very hard so it needs a tough tire, and the bfg's sidewalls just don't cut it for me. If your needs aren't as extreme and you do mild wheeling, I would say you'd probably be better off sticking with the bfgs... good luck with your decision and happy jeeping :)

00Classic said:
I don't no if you noticed but I made a correction. I had the weights of the BFG wrong and I think he could end up seeing a decrease in MPG with the TSL.

yep I saw the correction.

cost co can also order any BFG's if they dont have them in stock it just will take about a week to get... (i also think they price match if you can find a cheeper place)

Back