• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 1600 track bar fitting inside a RE 1665

Throttle

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone else had a problem installing their RE1665 track bar mount with their RE1600 track bar? The hole that mounts the track bar to the track bar mount is completely different?! The hole inside the track bar mount is about 3 sizes smaller than the track bar???? :flamemad::flamemad::flamemad:

You're supposed to use a RE1660 trackbar with a RE1665 bracket...not a RE1600 trackbar. RE1600 is meant to be used with the factory bracket.

Hope that helps.

Eh, they're totally different bars. IIRC the 1600 on the bar has female threads to accept a male rod end (heim). The 1660 has male threads on the bar and accepts a RE 'circle' joint (Johny joint, etc.) that has a female threaded section attached to it.

I'm sure if you really wanted to you could drill out the hole and put different mis-alignment spacers in. I would keep what you got sell the 1600 and buy the 1665 imho

I asked RE about that very same issue. They told me that it would not work. The bends in the 1600 are different than the 1660, not only that the bolts do not meet up right on the bracket. Also, the changes in the steering geometry would not work, or something to that effect. The 1600 is fine, however the 1660 setup will give you more articulation. I have the 1600 too, but I am going to run that for while, then possibly upgrade to the 1660 setup. Hope that helps.

Silent

Well RE replied to my email saying I could open up the holes in the bracket to be able to install the RE1600... I thought that was kind of a shotty way of doing it. So instead I ordered the 1660 track bar. Man is that thing much beefier than the RE1600! I'm much happier with the 1660. Its completely killed the creeking and moaning I got from the 1600.

Great stuff!Also look into the trackbar brace,its another option that greatly strengthens/re-inforces the front end!

I'm a little late to the party here, but I replaced the RE1600's worn out rod end with a Currie Johnny Joint and used the RE1665 bracket. I have to open the JJ's through hole a 1/16" but it's worked out great.

One warning though. I'm not sure that it would work with any lift lower than the RE3.5" springs I'm running. I only have a couple of turns left if I needed to shorten the bar.

what is the number of the currie johnny joint you used? The RE1600 takes a left threaded rod end... I'm curious since I will be replacing my creaking heim joint soon...

WTF!!! When did this happen?!

I definitely want to look into this "mod"

"Description: All new from Currie, forged Johnny Joints®!!! We have taken the Johnny Joint® to the next level by making a male rod end style forging that accepts the Johnny Joint® internals from our CE-9112 2" Johnny Joints®. This version features a 7/16" thru bolt hole, a 2" mounting width, 2 1/4" of 3/4"-16 left hand threads on the shank, and is greasable through the outer shell. Units will also accept our 7/16" greasable thru bolts as well (available seperately). We also keep the jam nuts for these units on hand at all times as well. These can be used in any Currie adjustable lower control arm, as well as in any type of universal application for those building their own arms. Finished in gold zinc plating, sold each."

Part #: CE-9112SPL
Our Price:
$39.95

CE-9112SPL, as you found. That's the one.

I had to drill it out to fit the bolt for the RE bracket. I can't remember the size and it left a pretty thin wall in the JJ spacers. I figured if the thin wall turned out to be a problem I would cut the spacers off and make my own, but so far, 6 months later and no probs yet.

Back