• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE LA UCA ?

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if it is okay to pull the bolts out of the UCA on the axle side while there is weight on the axle. I want to replace the cam lock bolts because they don't seem to lock on to the RE CA's. I planned on using new grade 8 bolts and doing it with the vehicle on the ground.

Do them one at a time or the axle will roll. Have done this many times on different vehicles. Might try taking a screwdriver or a tapered punch to follow the bolt with though in case things twist. ;)

They're metric bolts btw. I think it's a 10mm, get a grade 10.9 which is the metric equiv to a grade 8.

markw said:
They're metric bolts btw. I think it's a 10mm, get a grade 10.9 which is the metric equiv to a grade 8.

That is weird because I took off one of the nuts to take to the hardware store for matching, and it threaded on a 3/8" grade 8 perfectly. I was just checking and didn't end up getting the bolts because I was in the middle of my steering box swap and needed longer bolts for that. I plan on doing it next week or so, right now I can't get the Pitman Arm off of the new Durango box and have already broke 4 pullers in the process.

Back