• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need an exhaust that i cant hear unless i want to :)

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
So i'm looking into doing an exhaust, i'd rather not replace the header since mine isn't leaking and they're expensive plus i can probably do my exhaust on my own if its just a muffler or muffler and cat replacement... But anyway, I want to do a cat back but I'm having a lot of difficulty with chooseing a muffler. My friend has a 4.8 (or whatever the Vortec is) 2000something Silverado with a 70 series, its pretty quiet but you can hear it when he floors it, just not that loud. Also my other friend has a 4 runner with a 40 series and that shit was just ANNOYING, seriously i just test drove it and when i got out my head hurt, its just a solid, flat, annoying drone i couldnt stand it... anothre guy has i know has a gibson header and some sort of flowmaster (prob. a 40 series) on his YJ on 37s.. i drove that one with the top off and it sounded AMAZING, dirving through parking lots i couldnt help but rip the throttle because it sounded so damn badass, but remember thats with the top off so maybe that helped keep me from hearing any droning that may have been occuring...

Anyway, i want a muffler i cant really hear inside, but one that i can hear when i rev it (i have a manual so i do that a lot)... but it appears to me that maybe a 40 series would be best, because although its the loudest it has a rumble, not a drone... what do you guys think this is aggravating me i m about to buy like 3 or 4 mufflers and try them all then decided which...

FLowmaster has a hush muffler or something like that. I think its suppose to be pretty quiet. Also Dynamax mufflers are usually quiet. And magnaflows arent usually loud. Anything but borla, flowmaster, or cherry bomb, should be quiet.

i might go with a dynomax cuz theyre cheap... but idk.. i want it to be DEEP, whats the deepest thraotyest muffler i can get... and is there one that would be relatively quiet unless i really get on it?

It also depends on the exit location. If you dump it straight down on the ground in front of the muffler, you'll get some reverb back, not as bad in a jeep, but it's still there. I did the 95 dollar Dynomax cat back system and it sounds great. It's just a 2.5" muffler and pre bent 2.5" tail pipe. It is a 6, not a rumpty rump V8. You can here it at about 2:50 in this video as I practice my high center technique. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bttgnO7bm6Q

Last edited:
I'm running a Flowie 40 on my 90' and I like the way it sounds, or lack there of, at normal driving levels. Get on it and it sounds awsome! At idle its quiet inside but sounds like a little V-8 outside the Jeep. I get compliments from people all the time on how good it sounds. I have no problem listening to the radio at interstate speed and have never had any drone inside the Jeep.

I'm running a high flow cat as well if it matters.

I had a Gibson cat-back on my last XJ for almost 9 years and loved every second of it. Wasn't a drone at all and could carry on a conversation with the passengers. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
I had a Gibson cat-back on my last XJ for almost 9 years and loved every second of it. Wasn't a drone at all and could carry on a conversation with the passengers. ;)

You always have to weigh cost though. If you wheel it, it will get bashed.

markw said:
You always have to weigh cost though. If you wheel it, it will get bashed.

Depends on what you're doing. ;) I wheeled mine on the stuff 'up here' in the NW and didn't hit the gigantic rocks with it...but bounced off plenty of stumps and rocks during it's lifetime. It held together just fine and I hated to see the can go the day we parted that rig out. It only had a couple of scrapes on it and a very shallow dent. It was made of very thick material. It's not like it was hanging below my crossmember and most other things under there. Hell, the driveshaft was in more danger than my muffler ever was. :confused: :dunno:

ECKSJAY said:
Depends on what you're doing. ;) I wheeled mine on the stuff 'up here' in the NW and didn't hit the gigantic rocks with it...but bounced off plenty of stumps and rocks during it's lifetime. It held together just fine and I hated to see the can go the day we parted that rig out. It only had a couple of scrapes on it and a very shallow dent. It was made of very thick material. It's not like it was hanging below my crossmember and most other things under there. Hell, the driveshaft was in more danger than my muffler ever was. :confused: :dunno:

My wheeling trips consist of the Hammers, and other trails in southern california. Lots and lots of rocks. :) When I went to smog it, the guy looked at the cat, smiled and shook his head. It passed, but the heat shield is a bit thrashed.

I put a Flowmaster on my XJ... Its not "quiet" but ive heard louder. Sounds like a freaking hot rod inside a parking garage. I will say though, its been a great system and I can def feel the added perf.

Put a damn cherry bomb on and call it quits:gee: ............yeah baby!!

xjtrailrider said:
I'm running a Flowie 40 on my 90' and I like the way it sounds, or lack there of, at normal driving levels. Get on it and it sounds awsome! At idle its quiet inside but sounds like a little V-8 outside the Jeep. I get compliments from people all the time on how good it sounds. I have no problem listening to the radio at interstate speed and have never had any drone inside the Jeep.

I'm running a high flow cat as well if it matters.

Hmm.. thats interesting, that is exactly what I want. You can't hear it unless you get on it? Is this a delta 40 or what? What kind of high flow cat do you have? Because I need one...

after you get one send me a pm and a vid on how it sounds thanks Travis

Back