• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper buyer needs opinions

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching and looking around the usual sites but haven't found anything I want for a reasonable price. I need to get the stupid 33" tire off of my roof...it looks terrible, which means I am prone to riding around without it, which isn't really a great idea. I want to preserve the cleanish look I have going and I want to put the tire on the back so I can use the roof rack for other things. The big issue is however that I need to be able to transport at least 2 bicycles...so that means I either need it to come with something or I need a 2" reciever and somehow need to know if a bike rack would be compatable. Alot of the bumpers I have seen come with recievers but only use the standard bumper bolts, leading me to believe that they shouldn't be put under a real heavy load. I am also very concerned about visability out the back window, its a small field of view and getting smaller and quite honestly I like to be able to see through the back.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/72066_700.htm

This one looks interesting but it also looks like the tire sticks out an aweful lot...I also need something that wraps around like this one...anyone have this?
Thanks!

I just received this one day before yesterday. I love it.

detoursusa_bumper1.jpg

The big gap is because the bumper is cut for Bushwacker flares.

detoursusa_bumper4.jpg

I got the diamond plate but they have smooth, diamond, and combo.

This hand made, custom bumper was less than $800 shipped.

http://detoursusa.com/

The cheapest bumper w/tire carrier is the Olympic. I came pretty close to getting it.

how big is that tire mudderoy?

EMSJEEP said:
how big is that tire mudderoy?

32x11.5x15. The part that holds the tire to the carrier, slides in an out so you can adjust how close/far it is from the rear window.

I ask because it pretty well obscures the rear window. The diamond plate looks nice and covers that requirement...would be great to have that built in.

EMSJEEP said:
I ask because it pretty well obscures the rear window. The diamond plate looks nice and covers that requirement...would be great to have that built in.

It covers about 50% of the rear window. About 25% of that I never used since it is behind my head.

The higher the better I say. If someone rear ends me I'd rather not have the tire break/bend and shatter the rear hatch.

Visibility is great in the side mirrors. lol

well I would be putting a 33" back there...I don't know if I am willing to part with that much window...why cant I have everything the way I want it? Anyone run the Rock Hard 4x4 bumper?

EMSJEEP said:
well I would be putting a 33" back there...I don't know if I am willing to part with that much window...why cant I have everything the way I want it? Anyone run the Rock Hard 4x4 bumper?

Rear view mirror/camera system?

I mean as I see it you're only other option would be NOT to carry a spare, or carry it on top.

33" tire would be 1/2" wider that mine, from a view blockage perspective.

Have them off-set the tire to the driver side, this keeps all of your passanger side open for your viewing.. Ok most of it, but it would help...

"them"?

detoursusa_bumper14.jpg

Looking out the back window with DetoursUSA bumper w/tire carrier.

Pretty cool how I worked the Grand Cherokee into the picture, huh? :D

Last edited:
that would definately block my arrow stick in my rear window... although otherwise it doesn't seem too bad...and yes, great work with the Grand. Looks like everyone on your block owns a red jeep. Pretty soon I'm going to need to convert to a glass cockpit design and just black out the windows entirely,with all the accessories and electronics I'm starting to feel like the windows are only there for looks...

Back