• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Dana 44 Q

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
I had a very productive day at the pick and pull:

87 XJ Dana 44
V8 ZJ tie rod
Denso 56027913 136 amp alternator

My buddy picked up:
V8 ZJ Coils
XJ Leaf pack

So my question now is are all Dana 44s created equal?

With all the complications for axle swaps, it seems too easy to just get an XJ Dana 44 and call it a day.

Direct swap in if you have an 8.25.

Just get new U-bolts.

If you have a D35, the driveshaft will be too long unless you have some sort of lift.

splitz said:
I had a very productive day at the pick and pull:

87 XJ Dana 44
V8 ZJ tie rod
Denso 56027913 136 amp alternator

My buddy picked up:
V8 ZJ Coils
XJ Leaf pack

With all the complications for axle swaps, it seems too easy to just get an XJ Dana 44 and call it a day.

take the diff cover off and check stuff out and hey why not lock it for under $300 do new shoes and brake cylinders and be ready to wheel... assuming you ave the same gear ratio up front

Oh, I have no problems with setting it up. I know TJ Rubicon D44s are not the same as others, so I was curious if the 87 XJ is the most desirable D44 for our application (strength, aftermarket support, etc).

This is a bitter sweet find, since I just bought gears and a locker for my 8.25.

I know of no differences in XJ D44s except ratio & Trac-Loc. As far as I know they only came in 3.07, 3.54 and rarely 3.73. They of course came in MJs in a spring under configuration & of course they have 10X2 1/2" Brake drums. I have personally never seen one in anything newer than an 89 but rumors persist that they were available in 90. I have the one that came in my 87 & I have one from an 88 that's going in a 95, both open 3.54s[3.55?]

I'm pretty sure it is 3.54

The only numbers legible on the tag are 54 where the gear ration usually is.

mine had 2 tags one saying ratio and the other was blank (i think) but it was a track-loc. it was a 3.54

splitz said:

NO. dana 44s came on everything from suburban fronts, to waggy rears, to isuzu rears, to twin traction beam bronco/rangers, to wranglers, to cj's.. the dana 44 part just refers to the center section...

However, all d44's found in an USDM xj are the identical... except for gear ratio (tranny/engine dependant) and posi/no posi (check the glovebox ), there is no ABS model 44... and theres only 1 brake option?

And yes, 3.54 and 3.55 are interchangeable... it just depends where your calculator was manufactured. japan or the soviet union.

Last edited:
xcm said:
btw, now would be a good time for gears, truss, and discs!

Well, here is my delema. I just bought 4.56s for the 30/8.25 that I was going to have put in this week. Now I'm torn:

1. Build the 30/8.25 with the ARBs and 4.56s and sell the 44
2. Run 33s with 3.55s until I can build the 30/44 with ARBs and 4.88s in prep for 35s and sell the 4.56s and 8.25 locker
3. Run 33s with 3.55s, sell the 4.56s and lockers, find a matching front, build with 4.88s & ARBs and sell 30/8.25 combo
4. Build the 30/8.25 with the ARBs and 4.56s until I can find a matching front, and lock & regear w/4.88s

are they installed yet? you could probably return them if you want to run the 44..... but you tell me, sounds like you got cold feet.
you could allways spend some intimate time with the 44, while your 'getting by', 33''s on 3.55, then swap in the 44, and ship out the 30, it depends on how long of a downtime is cool with you, dd or not.

Back