• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke Starter Battery Connection

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
Why is nothing easy? Everything I do on this XJ turns into a major job. :gonnablow

So I notice that my battery cables have turned to cr@p. It's like the cover on them started to dissolve or melt. My guess at the cause was engine degreaser was too strong. At least that's my hope. So today I spend a couple of hours degreasing and cleaning, (I have a major oil leak) and then I think hey I'll install some new batter cables.

When I go to unbolt the positive cable from the starter solenoid, without much force at all the plastic just shatters and fall apart. I just put my tools up and came inside. When I calm down tomorrow, do I have to replace the whole starter or just the solenoid? If I can just replace the solenoid, do I have to remove the starter to get to it?

Thanks for advice.

The starter is easy to remove so don't let that deter you I had mine out and a new one back up and mounted in maybe 10 minutes. Only 2 bolts hold in on, I wanna say a 14 or 15mm wrench is all you need. Pull the starter off and replace the solenoid and you will be just fine. Will also let you inspect the Bendix and see what the life of your starter is looking like. Plus if you are unsure you can take your starter to AZ for a free inspection.

You can replace just the solenoid. Not many stores around me carry them but Napa and Autozone have them online.

:soapbox: Excuse me for being a cynic but"Lifetime Guarentee" parts from chain auto parts stores are usually crap. Pay more money at a Napa or an independant auto parts store for a USA part & you won't need to replace it again for years. If it's defective it'll go bad within the normal waranty period. I have bought "Lifetime Guarentee" parts from Schucks & Pep Boys and you invaribly need your guarentee. Over and over again, because they are cheap imported crap.

AlabamaDan said:
When I go to unbolt the positive cable from the starter solenoid, without much force at all the plastic just shatters and fall apart. I just put my tools up and came inside. When I calm down tomorrow, do I have to replace the whole starter or just the solenoid? If I can just replace the solenoid, do I have to remove the starter to get to it?

Thanks for advice.

I read your post literally a minute before going out to change my battery cables. So I was extra careful.

Thanks Dan. :yelclap: :laugh3:

I ended up replacing the entire starter. It was about $80 total, but I think I needed it anyway. The old starter looked like heck. The only thing is that the new starter has a vent? I guess I should attach a line to it and raise it if I want it to be as water resistant as the old one. Anyone agree?

AlabamaDan said:
Why is nothing easy? Everything I do on this XJ turns into a major job. :gonnablow

So I notice that my battery cables have turned to cr@p. It's like the cover on them started to dissolve or melt. My guess at the cause was engine degreaser was too strong. At least that's my hope. So today I spend a couple of hours degreasing and cleaning, (I have a major oil leak) and then I think hey I'll install some new batter cables.

Thanks for advice.

Isn't this why we love our Jeeps, as they have so much of our Blood, Sweat and Tears!! Oh, and our Money too! ;)

Back