• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

idea for spare tire carrier

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i was thinking of opening up my liftgate and building some heavy duty reinforcement incorporated into the structure of it. then mounting a spare tire carrier out the back of it. so basically it will(from the outside) look like there is just a little hub with studs sticking out of the liftgate. has anyone tried this?> is it possible? am i just dumb?

also, i want it to be strong enough to hold a 33" tire or maybe even a 35". and i'm gonna upgrade the lift supports with stronger ones.

I know the hatch will fall on your head everytime you try and get something out of the back of your jeep. Tire + Rim = pretty heavy. And the hub would have stick pretty far out of the hatch.
Any ideas how to keep it open to use the back of your jeep, maybe a prop rod or something?

edit: Your going to need some pretty strong lift supports!

i don't know, i think they make heavy duty lift supports that will handle it? i hope. my biggest concern is that the hatch is strong enough and the hatch hinges are strong enough. but i think it can be done. i'm gonna start looking into it today to see what kind of reinforcement i will need to do.

mitsumotors said:
i just dumb
Ive seen enough tire carriers that broke due to either wear/tear(fatigue) or just landing on them!
Your Jeeep's gonna look awsome with a big gaping hole in the back hatch!!

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
Ive seen enough tire carriers that broke due to either wear/tear(fatigue) or just landing on them!
Your Jeeep's gonna look awsome with a big gaping hole in the back hatch!!
I agree, not such a good idea. Was not designed for that purpose, and you are going to stress things (hinges,etc) that should not be put under that kind of stress.

Especially a bad idea if it's a fiberglass hatch. Really just a bad idea in general.

I would go with a swing arm idea over this.....really

Back