• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Successful Gauge Cluster swap 99 XJ

Z71456

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a new gauge cluster from ebay for $24.95 that has all the gauges vs. the idiot light cluster my XJ came with. I called my local dealership about changing the miles on the new cluster as my 99 XJ only has 36k miles on it. He told me they could not and couldn't refer me to anyone. I made a few calls and found a company locally called Instrumedix. They changed the mileage to exactly what mine currently had which was 36,300. They charged me $125, picked it up from my house and dropped it back off 2 days later. Not sure what the normal charge to do something like that is, but I thought it was a good deal considering I couldn't find anyone else to do it and they came to me.

The swap took about 35 minutes total this morning. Removing the steering column plastic was first, then the radio/vent bezel, and finally the dash trim. Applying a little Armol All to the headlight knob helped slip it through the hole. Everything popped off and unscrewed with a philips screwdriver so that was nice. After putting the new gauges in, I hooked the battery back up and started it up and they all worked great. At that point, I put everything back together.

When putting everything back on, the top steering column cover is the first that needs to go on. Then the dash trim, then the bottom cover the steering column, then finally the radio/vent bezel.

here are some pics in case any of you wanted to see.

Thank you to everyone who have posted information about this. With that information and the little I learned along the way I was able to get this done.

CopyofGaugecluster002.jpg

CopyofGaugecluster003.jpg

CopyofGaugecluster004.jpg

Gaugecluster005.jpg

Gaugecluster011.jpg

Gaugecluster012.jpg

Gaugecluster015.jpg

Nice...did the same to my '00 when I first got it. Found a guy locally (in Cali) that would reprogram the mileage in 1 day.

You must have just cranked your XJ...notice coolant temp is way down but oil pressure is 40+...

Thanks guys.

yeah, that was a pic I took after I started it to test the cluster before I put the dash back together. I'm so stoked that I have gauges now. What an easy upgrade. I hope the info helps others that are looking to do that. Before I read the treads on swapping the clusters I was looking at different aftermarket gauge options and wasn't happy with any of them. This is great. Thanks again.

Did same swap on mine lot better setup was easy to do also nic pics also

Yes, but you have to swap out the oil pressure sender and water temp sender at the rear of the block.

Is the new cluster brand new with no miles? gauges are way better then dummy lights...do you have the link or info for the cluster you swapped into?..id like to do the same thing...:thumbup:

?? I just learned something! I thought the record of mileage was in the computer, not the gauge cluster - I thought that was just a readout of something remote.

Just learned my fact for the day!

Thanks,

Mark

Actually, I believe its in both...that way, if anybody fubs around with the cluster, the true mileage can be found in the 'puter.

I believe someone asked about the cluster...don't know about all XJs, but for 97-01, it is just a matter of swamping out the dummy light cluster with gauge cluster...you can find them in junkyards, ebay, etc.

There are people out there that can program them for you...I found mine at a pick-n-pull out of a '97 police XJ...my speedo goes to 120 'certified'.

Oh, one more thing...the clusters are interchangeable between the 97-01 model years, but if you want to keep all of your warning lights, it is better to switch one out with the exact same year. I believe in 00-01 model years, there was a warning light for the rear hatch not being completely closed...97-99 models years didn't have that warning light. So, when I installed the '97 cluster in my '00, I lost that warning light. There might be some other warning lights that might get lost if you don't match the years, but I believe they are minor, if any.

thebrick said:
Actually, I believe its in both...that way, if anybody fubs around with the cluster, the true mileage can be found in the 'puter.

I believe someone asked about the cluster...don't know about all XJs, but for 97-01, it is just a matter of swamping out the dummy light cluster with gauge cluster...you can find them in junkyards, ebay, etc.

Oh, one more thing...the clusters are interchangeable between the 97-01 model years, but if you want to keep all of your warning lights, it is better to switch one out with the exact same year. I believe in 00-01 model years, there was a warning light for the rear hatch not being completely closed...97-99 models years didn't have that warning light. So, when I installed the '97 cluster in my '00, I lost that warning light. There might be some other warning lights that might get lost if you don't match the years, but I believe they are minor, if any.

Did this swap about 8 years ago....

Purchased an instrument cluster from a '97 and after installing it... I found the mileage read 40K too high, the windshield washer low indicator was illuminated along with losing the use of my rear window defroster since there is a timer clock built into the cluster...
After reviewing the pin outs from a '97 and a '98 FSM; I found out there was a change in where the ground wires are connected to which pin on the Bus connectors....
After more investigation.... I found that you can use the instrument cluster from a 97-02 TJ, but a couple function indicators will be lost....

Recently purchased a cluster from a '99 on eBay for $30 including shipping. Swapped the clusters and now the mileage on the instrument cluster and ECM are within 2K miles of each other... Sold the old instrument cluster on eBay.

Back