• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which year, 97-99???

rlhj2

NAXJA Forum User
I sold my 94 about a year ago and now I'm in the market for another XJ. what are the differences in the 97-99 model years? This will be mostly a winter rig with some mild off-road use?

99 got distributorless ignition. and color-matched flares and bumpers. Everyhting else is the same i believe

My wife's 99 still has a distributor and plug wires. Also, she has normal black flares.

The 99 did get the improved intake manifold though. So I would say 99 is the best. Avoids the head issues of the 2000's, last year of the HP30, and gets the good intake. As far as I know, the later style intake is the only difference between the 99 and the 97-98. It may have the later style keyless entry remote too? I don't know of any differences between the 97 and 98. There may be though.

Last edited:
There are also some electrical differences, and the fuel system differs as well as the manifold design. Seem to suffer the same basic problems though, so I'm guessing there aren't many significant differences.

The year has NO Difference on color matched flares/molding. The trim level does.

'99 has the improved intake, normal distributor and as stated last year of HP 30.

Any of those years are excellent.
As far as the intake change in 99, don't buy a vehicle based on that. I've driven a late 96 and a 98 with the swap. If there was even a 2-horse increase, I'd be stretching it.

I would look around for the best deal on 97-99 and go from there

FlexdXJ said:
99 got distributorless ignition. and color-matched flares and bumpers. Everyhting else is the same i believe

98 is color matched.

I'd buy the one that was equipped the way you want it, They have pretty insignificant differences & are supposed to be the peak of XJ development[ Of course I think 1990 was the peak, I love my Renix].

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd go with the 97 or 98 so you don't get the extra emissions crap that called for the upgraded intake in 99 (they all have the same power rating anyway). Then, you can swap on the 99 intake for a decent upgrade in power. I have a 96, and the 99 intake swap I did definitely added a noticable torque increase

igotanxj said:
If it were me, I'd go with the 97 or 98 so you don't get the extra emissions crap that called for the upgraded intake in 99 (they all have the same power rating anyway). Then, you can swap on the 99 intake for a decent upgrade in power. I have a 96, and the 99 intake swap I did definitely added a noticable torque increase

Those are some good points but I would say stick with the 98. The 97 XJ's and TJ's were an odd year for the Jeeps. It seems like Chrysler wasn't 100% sure about what they wanted when they did the redesign and as such it seems like they didn't finalize the design until 98.

Oh and my 97 Country is all color matched.

iwannadie said:
My 97 has color match flares and bumpers.
you have a country i am assuming. I should have said all got color-matched and i guess that the 99's don't have the distributorless on them . my bad. coulda swore it started in 99. Go with a 97-99 so you have an HP D30 unless you are putting FS axles on it :D

FlexdXJ said:
you have a country i am assuming. I should have said all got color-matched and i guess that the 99's don't have the distributorless on them . my bad. coulda swore it started in 99. Go with a 97-99 so you have an HP D30 unless you are putting FS axles on it :D

Yea, 97 country.

As said, color matching is based on trim level. Base has all plastic colored flares. Limited everything is color matched.

Back