• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strength of D30 disco housing

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
I have plenty of disco D30s laying on my yard,
I was thinking of using it instead the non disco version, as it has the beefier PS UCA mount, weld a truss on it (between diff and PS UCA) and be done with it.
What do you guys think about this? Will it be beefier that the non disco version, same or weaker?

I am aware of the PS seal thing :) lol

I'd run it. Truss it like you said though. Should do that with non-disco D30s anyway.

I've run both. When I decided to build my 'beefy' d30, I didn't even think about it - i went with a non disco housing and build my own uca mount.

I guess that speaks to my opinion?

About the non-disco housings weaker passenger side UCA mount:
Is it that big of a deal?If you trashed it on the trail could you not still drive it out with a three link?

outlander said:
About the non-disco housings weaker passenger side UCA mount:
Is it that big of a deal?If you trashed it on the trail could you not still drive it out with a three link?

If you don't taco the driverside upper, yes.

It is sort of a big deal, but not a huge deal. Really, either housing works fine.

i know it doesn't matter much, but the disco housing is WAY heaveir than the non-. i can lift the non-disco myself. that CAD housing, no way. but it it was stonger.

because the uca pass side is cast, wouldn't that pose and issue welding a truss to it?

oh, what if you were running a 3 link with pass side upper as the third link. would you be able to ge away with out beefing up that mount? or do you think it would flex to much?

Back