• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Bushings Poly / Rubber combo?

POSXJGuy

NAXJA Forum User
Last weekend i swapped out my rear leaf bushings with energy suspension black polys. used the male "discharge" looking lube and didn't torque the leaf bolts down too tight. right to spec.

93 xj / stock rear leaf springs with add a leaf. 31" bfg at/ko's

so i have been driving it this week and its pretty harsh on the highway. offroad it works great but i spend about 85% onroad. right now when i go over bumps it feels like my kidneys are going to fall out of my ass.

question: is there a good combo i can use and retain at least 2 of the 3 bushings in each leaf spring that will give me a decent onroad ride?

i ordered up some oem replacement bushings for the rear of the leafs. next week i will install rubber rear leaf spring bushings and retain the front poly and the shackle polys to see if its any better.

Well, I dont think they made poly bushings to improve your ride comfort level. They are stiffer, firmer than oe rubber. I'd look in other ways to soften your ride - maybe loosen your shackle bolts, lower air PSI in tires, perhaps even refinish your leafs in the packs to reduce friction - or look into those leaf liners ? IMHO, I'd run all rubber bushings - they flex better, ride better.. I've seen pics of rock crawlers with such worn out bushings, they are almost popping out when they have their leafs twisted when climbing.

Back