• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick head reassembly question

9T3XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know your supposed to use loctite #592 sealant or equivalent teflon paste on the #11 bolt, but should i use any type of loctite on the rest of the bolts?

Also, i'm when looking at loctite i don't see any numbers (#222, #242, #272, etc) it's all red, blue, etc. whats the equivalent of 272 to use for the manifolds?

Thanks

i used copper rtv around all of the mainfold ports on both sides of the gasket.. no thread locker on any of the manifold bolts.

Any PTFE paste will work on head screw #11 - Hell, I've been using Harvey's Pipe Dope without any trouble.

I refer to numbers because that's how I know them. LocTite #272 is a "high heat" version formulated specifically for exhaust use - your parts guy should know what you're talking about if you go that far. Last time I needed the stuff, I went to an MRO house for it. Anything else will break down under exhaust heat, and won't do you any good at all after about three days.

Ditto the RTV copper (thin layer!) on both sides of the manifold gasket - he probably picked that tip up from me, and I've been doing it for the best part of thirty years (especially on inline sixes with aluminum intakes and iron exhausts on the same side of the head. It's less of an issue with iron/iron, or with "cross-draft" heads.)

@indy - bear in mind that LocTite is a threadlocker, and not a sealant. Any sealing properties that your red loctite would have are accidental at best, and you can count yourself lucky. Also, the reason that #11 gets torqued to a lower value is due to the lubricity of the PTFE paste - if you use it on anything else (like water pump or thermostat housing screws,) lower the "clean, dry" torque spec by 10% as well - same reason. RTV and LocTite threadlocker does not require a change to the "clean, dry" torque spec.

Back