PDA

View Full Version : hey socal i need some lift suggestions and guidance

besthaticouldo
August 27th, 2008, 22:04
so knowing cali has different conditions then most places...i wanted your guys suggestions on my lift ideas and maybe some help as to what i need or dont need and how i should approach this. it will be used as a DD with some light traffic and shit.

i have been thinking a 3-3.5.

so i have been doing some research and some talking to people and have come up with this.

- 3.5 Rubicon Express Super Ride Kit with Rear Springs
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2018&XnPath=173,180,188&Vid=88EF4E7243642

- Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks for 4in Lift
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Bilstein-Shocks-84-01-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-w-4-lift_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ016QQite mZ260278368830QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

after that is all installed i was thinking of getting a trac bar and sway bar discos. but those are down the line. this is primarily a DD, so it needs to perform well on the street as well as off road.

as for tires. i wanna run 31x10.50x15s. i was wondering if you guys had some good tire suggestions for me that i could get that would last a good while in socal weather and terrain. thanks guys!

IslanderOffRoad
August 27th, 2008, 22:12
RE 3.5 is a great kit; remember you'll need a trac bar too so you don't have to drill a new trac bar mount. I'd go for the superflex; ride quality isn't bad and it will come with the discos too. Go 5150's for the Bilstiens.

If its your DD I'd go with BFG All Terrains.

ManBearPig
August 27th, 2008, 22:13
as for tires. i wanna run 31x10.50x15s. i

Great!!!!!!! jk

So would you advise me to put those tires back on the market?

cds36
August 27th, 2008, 22:19
I would ask the question do you plan on wheeling a grip ? cause if you do the guys that I know wish they went bigger 5.5 and so on in the long run

my2cents

BajaCurt
August 27th, 2008, 22:20
That is my exact setup only I went with the RE monotube shocks.
I currently run 31x10.50 BFG AT. They are great on the street and do the job OK on the trail. The sidewalls seem to be a weak point if you do any rock crawling.
It's my daily driver too and I am very pleased with this setup.
I use the stock trac bar and just drilled a new mounting hole per the RE instructions.
I would recommend adding the sway bar discos sooner than later.
But really ask yourself what you want to do with your Jeep.
Cause after 2 years of this I am now ready to move on...I mean up.
After saying how happy I am with my setup I still went out and bought 4.5" coils for the front and 4 7100 series Bilstein remote res shocks that are currently sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.
3.5 is a very good first step.
Let me know if you want to see any pics.
Remember..think then act

xjjeeper19
August 27th, 2008, 22:20
go big now and call it done. 4.5 or higher, both of mine sit at 5 or 6 ish. It will run you a little more but it's worth it. I have changed so much stuff numerous times ,control arms, leafs, spacers, shocks, and other stuff.

I used to DD my 89 to ontario and back (25 miles each way) now it sits in my garage with no t-case in it. Now I DD my 2000, well only a few days a week because I carpool with some other people.

Save your money and buy good parts, then when you get everything together lift it. Check the for sale section, alot of times you can find stuff for cheap, then piece it together that way

Justin

cds36
August 27th, 2008, 22:23
X2 take your time dont rush it, go big you'll thank us in the long run. Curt we got to slap those Bilsteins in !!!!

xjjeeper19
August 27th, 2008, 22:30
It also depends on what kind of wheelin you want to do.....

Jeepspeed stuff?

Rock crawlin?

or both?...Tony's rig fits perfectly in this catagory

Justin

BajaCurt
August 27th, 2008, 22:33
Curt we got to slap those Bilsteins in !!!!

Oh Craig if it were only as easy as slapping them in LOL

besthaticouldo
August 27th, 2008, 22:39
it will be mostly DD. it will be taken camping. i dont wanna go bigger then 3.5 inches because my 5'3 fiance is pregnant and she too will be driving this and i dont want her to struggle getting into it. it will also be the families primary vehicle. i cant ever seen going higher then 3.5. if and when i do i will address it then.

i dont plan on doing a lot of rock crawling.

im not 100% what jeepspeed is...lol excuse my newbness.

i just want a capable kit off road and something that is suitable for a DD rig.

baja curt...you sound pleased with it, at least for two years...which by then yea maybe ill want to move up, right now as my first lift 3.5 sounds great to me.

i was going to get discos probably 2-3 months after i did the lift and tires.

what trac bar is good? what do you guys suggest?

Monkey55
August 27th, 2008, 22:44
Kudos for not asking, "Which is the best lift kit?" and for doing your homework. :thumbup:

I agree.. You first need to figure out your long term plan. Then do it.

I'm running the RE 4.5" Super Flex kit with spacers up front on 33" MTs.

If I were to do it over, I would get the RE 3.5" Super Ride and stick with 31's or 30's. True, most people eventually want to go higher, but it was my daily driver and now I'm pretty close to making it my trail rig. I drive A LOT and think I would still keep it as my daily if it wasn't so tall and would drive smoother.

Remember that RE's kits are a bit higher than they say. The 4.5" sits about 5" to 5.25". I'm sure the 3.5" will sit at 3.75" or 4".

E

-96JeepSpeed-
August 27th, 2008, 22:49
Iv been all threw the desert and all threw big bear with a 3.5 and 31s.

Monkey55
August 27th, 2008, 22:50
it will be mostly DD. it will be taken camping. i dont wanna go bigger then 3.5 inches because my 5'3 fiance is pregnant and she too will be driving this and i dont want her to struggle getting into it. it will also be the families primary vehicle. i cant ever seen going higher then 3.5. if and when i do i will address it then.

baja curt...you sound pleased with it, at least for two years...which by then yea maybe ill want to move up, right now as my first lift 3.5 sounds great to me.

It sounds like you found the right combo for you.

Jeeps are very capable rigs, stock. It's 90% the driver. There was a White all stock TJ, when we did Cleghorn last time backwards, who did the whole trail. Some guys with lifted Jeeps couldn't make some of the stuff.. ;)

E

karstic
August 27th, 2008, 22:50
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244012303&postcount=27

For an all-inclusive kit I would go with the RE6130 kit.

crazyjim
August 27th, 2008, 22:52

2 years... you won't have it that long.

I had a blast on a 3" lift, but 5~ months later I'm stepping up to a lot bigger lift, around 6" and 33's

Here's my Jeep on 3" with 30's. Stock trac bar, and no SYE, I was fine.

http://a406.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/l_2248fd59290d1034b3df5b3f444c3205.jpg
http://a671.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/55/l_9522b5bc0cae69d68ae466d588b9b6be.jpg
http://a915.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/78/l_81f13901fe13d4fe71ff7c6e44050d2a.jpg

crazyjim
August 27th, 2008, 22:53
As for being stock, I wheeled it stock as shit for a while... With no sway bars it does well. I ran all of cleghorn with just my front disconnected, except for the notch. Ran through the notch with my 3"

xjjeeper19
August 27th, 2008, 23:03
As for being stock, I wheeled it stock as shit for a while... With no sway bars it does well. I ran all of cleghorn with just my front disconnected, except for the notch. Ran through the notch with my 3"

what about the snow Jim? :D

xcm
August 27th, 2008, 23:05
RE 3.5, but go with the 5150's... not that much more coin, but added capabilities.

silverslk
August 27th, 2008, 23:18
I guess it would be good to know how much you plan on spending MAX. It's easy to say "Get TnT long arms and Bilstein 9300's" but whats your budget.

BajaCurt, you running the 3.5 super ride not super flex?

I know Erikwylie had/has the 3.5 super ride, maybe he'll chime in.

Is it worth the money to go superflex over super ride?

XCM, what capabilities are added?

XbajajeepX
August 27th, 2008, 23:20
If you FOR sure want to stick with 3.5" I suggest ordering the RE 4.5" and having the shop switch out the 4.5" coils for the 3.5" coils... For what you get in the 4.5" kit versus the 3.5" kit, its more than worth it. You get, bumpstops, tracbar, upper control arms, brake lines, discos, and probably more that I'm not remembering for not much more than the 3.5" kit...

BajaCurt
August 27th, 2008, 23:46
BajaCurt, you running the 3.5 super ride not super flex?

Correct Andy mine is the super ride. I did it for better on road handling since it is my DD. I did have adjustable upper control arms added to get some adjustability.

crazyjim
August 27th, 2008, 23:53
what about the snow Jim? :D
Effff the snow!

http://a195.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_05f93bbb21c508b9c18686ac2155440a.jpg

crazyjim
August 27th, 2008, 23:54
My very first damage was in the snow lol, no recovery points, so the strap went through the valance.

http://a672.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/114/l_d96b46e9d97f622300ed8843bd47f16f.jpg

BajaCurt
August 28th, 2008, 00:01
Another thing I should mention is be prepared for a SYE
I did my lift install myself and when I got it done I took it for a cruise all excited and when I got up to about 30 mph it shook like a mother.
Of course every XJ is different...you never know if you will need one.
I did with only a 3.5 lift (89 Limited with NP242 transfer case)
Just FYI if it's your DD

silverslk
August 28th, 2008, 08:23
Effff the snow!

http://a195.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_05f93bbb21c508b9c18686ac2155440a.jpg

Dude, why's your window down? haha

silverslk
August 28th, 2008, 08:25
I did my lift install myself and when I got it done I took it for a cruise all excited and when I got up to about 30 mph it shook like a mother.
Just FYI if it's your DD

Yeah but he could do the TC drop to get by. Cory is running about a 4.5+ lift with TC drop and its ok. Probably vibes alittle but not bad.

besthaticouldo
August 28th, 2008, 09:03
If you FOR sure want to stick with 3.5" I suggest ordering the RE 4.5" and having the shop switch out the 4.5" coils for the 3.5" coils... For what you get in the 4.5" kit versus the 3.5" kit, its more than worth it. You get, bumpstops, tracbar, upper control arms, brake lines, discos, and probably more that I'm not remembering for not much more than the 3.5" kit...

that seems like a lot of money for stuff i dont need immediately and can get later when i have a larger cash flow...

also its almost double the price of the other RE kit i want + shop labor, so that is simply out of the question.

yea i really wanna stay away from an SYE if i can. if i cant, so be it. but id rather do a small TC drop and get it fixed that way then go into the transfer case.

also the 5150 bilsteins are about 200 more then that link for the 5100s. and the 5100s will do the job of what i want quite well i think.

crazyjim...thats about the lift i want. that looks really good.

besthaticouldo
August 28th, 2008, 09:03
oh and andy...thanks man. i appreciate the guidance and shit.

silverslk
August 28th, 2008, 09:53
that seems like a lot of money for stuff i dont need immediately and can get later when i have a larger cash flow...

also its almost double the price of the other RE kit i want + shop labor, so that is simply out of the question.

yea i really wanna stay away from an SYE if i can. if i cant, so be it. but id rather do a small TC drop and get it fixed that way then go into the transfer case.

also the 5150 bilsteins are about 200 more then that link for the 5100s. and the 5100s will do the job of what i want quite well i think.

crazyjim...thats about the lift i want. that looks really good.

Well, get your lift ordered and get it here so we can install it same weekend. Make sure you call Dan (loose-nuts enterprises) and get a price, I heard he's the man on good RE prices.

Oh and no problem. It's always good helping someone get into the sport. Fast street cars are fun but no where to play with them anymore. Off road= no cops (for the most part). And CrazyJim is a saturn guy too.....:looser:

besthaticouldo
August 28th, 2008, 09:56
ok will do. i should be ordering it once the focus parts are gone and sold.

silverslk
August 28th, 2008, 10:19
Research those shocks a bit. Get a part number and get compressed and extended lengths and compare to what RE recommends with their kit. I am worried 3-4" lift shocks might not be right for the 3.5 RE kit that usually run higher. Also, compare to 5125's (close in price) but with shock adapters get rid of the stupid upper stem mount up front and allow more choices.

http://www.raceshock.com/bilstein.htm

http://www.raceshock.com/Bilstein/bilstein5125.htm

besthaticouldo
August 28th, 2008, 10:22
where can i find what the RE kit recommends?

i looked on their site and couldnt find anything.

silverslk
August 28th, 2008, 10:40
where can i find what the RE kit recommends?

i looked on their site and couldnt find anything.

Call them and ask them what length shocks they recommend. Tell them ur buying their kit but want Bilstein shocks. They have always been cool with giving me info when I call.

besthaticouldo
August 28th, 2008, 10:40
ok sweet...thats what ill do.

Bent
August 28th, 2008, 12:29
Spend the extra for adj. upper AND lower control arms. Short of going to a long arm set up, they will provide flexibility for any changes you may want to do with your suspension later on. Over the years I have had to adjust both, several times, in order to accommodate different spacers, springs, axles and brackets in various combinations.

markw
August 28th, 2008, 12:36
It also depends on what kind of wheelin you want to do.....

Jeepspeed stuff?

Rock crawlin?

or both?...Tony's rig fits perfectly in this catagory

Justin

I thought his was just for mall crawling with Rich. Those are both too shiny and nice to rock crawl with. :)

As for the lift, go big. You'll regret it if you don't later. I waited and collected parts. Did the RE 5.5 kit with the drop brackets and love it.

besthaticouldo
August 28th, 2008, 13:35
also guys i was wondering if you could point my in the direction of what i needed for recovery and skid plates?

obviously a transfer case skid and probably gas tank skid, but what else should i get. i havent yet decided if i wanna go as far as bumpers yet.

silverslk
August 28th, 2008, 13:47
For basic stuff. Stock gas tank skid and transfer case skid. Add the FACTORY tow hook brackets (and hooks) all from the junk yard. This weekend is half price I think.

besthaticouldo
August 28th, 2008, 13:48
yea i cant make it there this weekend. i wanna go to the pick a part in anaheim one weekend.

silverslk
August 28th, 2008, 13:58
We go to that one fairly often. The ecology in Long Beach seems to be the best bet.

besthaticouldo
August 28th, 2008, 14:00
really?

hm...i should go check these out.

cuz i wanna do ZJ rear brakes, as well as a v8 grand cherokee steering upgrade.

crazyjim
August 28th, 2008, 14:23
also guys i was wondering if you could point my in the direction of what i needed for recovery and skid plates?

obviously a transfer case skid and probably gas tank skid, but what else should i get. i havent yet decided if i wanna go as far as bumpers yet. Go check out the new thread in modified tech a company named Kibly just came out with Tcase skids and tank skids, $75 for tcase and 175 for tank. Smokin prices. These are for the 97+ models

besthaticouldo
August 28th, 2008, 14:24
Go check out the new thread in modified tech a company named Kibly just came out with Tcase skids and tank skids, $75 for tcase and 175 for tank. Smokin prices. These are for the 97+ models

i saw that thread...however...they are for 97+...i have a 95...

crazyjim
August 28th, 2008, 14:42
i saw that thread...however...they are for 97+...i have a 95...
Well then you're lucky, and don't need to buy aftermarket. Go find a stocker for $20 lol.

besthaticouldo
August 28th, 2008, 14:44
where are the stockers??? lol

hahaha i need someone to go with my to a junkyard....

sorry for asking all these stupid questions but im a newb...not afraid to admit it...lol

crazyjim
August 28th, 2008, 14:48
where are the stockers??? lol

hahaha i need someone to go with my to a junkyard....

sorry for asking all these stupid questions but im a newb...not afraid to admit it...lol
No worries, you can find stock skids at almost all yards with XJ's in them, 8 bolts to pull, you might as well grab a hitch while you're there, same bolts.

Off topic, but were you a member of TSN when it was still up with your satty?

Darky
August 28th, 2008, 14:48
ok will do. i should be ordering it once the focus parts are gone and sold.
Focus parts? What kind of parts and what kind of Focus. I have one of them and would like to do a little work on it.
Sorry for the mini-hijack. :D
As far as the lift. Make sure you have a plan and stick to it. When you order the guy may try and talk you into something different based on his own thoughts on modding a Jeep, but if it doesn't fit what you want, you won't be happy with it.

RMracer09
August 28th, 2008, 15:00
Just FYI if it's your DD

any pics of your rig?? i would like to see some more of it

besthaticouldo
August 29th, 2008, 09:10
No worries, you can find stock skids at almost all yards with XJ's in them, 8 bolts to pull, you might as well grab a hitch while you're there, same bolts.

Off topic, but were you a member of TSN when it was still up with your satty?

oh sweet. i have a hitch.

yea...a LONG LONG TIME ago.

Focus parts? What kind of parts and what kind of Focus. I have one of them and would like to do a little work on it.
Sorry for the mini-hijack. :D
As far as the lift. Make sure you have a plan and stick to it. When you order the guy may try and talk you into something different based on his own thoughts on modding a Jeep, but if it doesn't fit what you want, you won't be happy with it.

yea i have some stuff. what are you looking for.

i am going with the RE super ride 3.5 kit with RE mono tube shocks.

XbajajeepX
August 29th, 2008, 12:29
your gunna need a tracbar as well....

silverslk
August 29th, 2008, 12:45
your gunna need a tracbar as well....

He can get by with relocating his stock one until he gets money for a better track bar.

homebrew
August 29th, 2008, 15:45
I have tow hook brackets for sale, I'll cut you a deal and save you a trip to the junk yard.

Wiser
August 29th, 2008, 17:00
PM'ED U

markw
August 29th, 2008, 22:27
For basic stuff. Stock gas tank skid and transfer case skid. Add the FACTORY tow hook brackets (and hooks) all from the junk yard. This weekend is half price I think.

Biggest things are the front/rear tow points. Factory parts for your year on the front, or Custom 4x4 (clones of the factory part). The factory brackets have the bumper brackets welded to them, they changed them with the body style. The custom 4x4 hooks just reuse your stock ones. Now for some plugging, I think there's a set of Custom 4x4 ones in the for sale by homebrew. :)

For the rear, just pick up a factory hitch with nutstrips.

markw
August 29th, 2008, 22:31
really?

hm...i should go check these out.

cuz i wanna do ZJ rear brakes, as well as a v8 grand cherokee steering upgrade.

What rear axle? I'm doing a conversion on a D44 right now. I'll have pictures up later on how to swap for $200, with most the cost being new rotors, shoes,pads. :) If it has a D35, don't waste _ANY_ money on that axle.

besthaticouldo
August 31st, 2008, 11:37
i have the chrsyler 8.25 in the rear.

what front axle is in the truck i have no idea.

i have a factory hitch btw.

Wiser
August 31st, 2008, 12:50
i have the chrsyler 8.25 in the rear.

what front axle is in the truck i have no idea.

i have a factory hitch btw.dana 30 front

besthaticouldo
September 2nd, 2008, 13:19
how is the rough country 3" lift compared to the rubicon express 3.5"?

is the RE kit worth the money over the RC? i dont mean to beat a dead horse but i dont wanna buy a crappy lift and hate it.

Wiser
September 2nd, 2008, 13:34
how is the rough country 3" lift compared to the rubicon express 3.5"?

is the RE kit worth the money over the RC? i dont mean to beat a dead horse but i dont wanna buy a crappy lift and hate it.hasta j/k. get the RE lift. U sit higher than any other manuf. lift kit, rides better too.:spin1:

besthaticouldo
September 2nd, 2008, 13:42
well im not all too concerned with sitting higher lol.

i know i am, im sorry. however i am a huge newb.

is the RC ride really bad or what? its gotta ride better then my current set up does....which is all im looking for, a bit better stance, a bit more clearance, and better ride

Daedalus454
September 2nd, 2008, 13:51
I've been running a Rough Country 3" lift for the past 8 months or so. I think that, for the money, you're going to have a really hard time finding a better deal. I upgraded to the Nitro 9000 shocks, they are extremely stiff, so if you are looking for a smooth ride I would recommend getting the kit minus shocks and buying some OME or Bilstein shocks. I also got the AAL, it worked and I got the full 3" of lift, but it was pretty stiff and didn't flex well offroad.

Up until Saturday, I was running the 3" RC springs with Bilstein 5150s, and it rode great.

Gratuitous flex shot:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l130/Daedalus83/Cleghorn%20020208/DSC00333.jpg

Wiser
September 2nd, 2008, 13:57
two main facts that everyone will tell you:

1. You get what u pay for.

2. Just do it right the first time. You'll end up going higher or you'll start chaning compenents out like me.

Dont mean to sound like a jerk but this is what i've learned so far while building up my jeep. Ive spent so much extra money its not even funny,

I would say go RE they have a better reputation. They ride nice, their components are beefy. Hence, you get what you pay for.

Tom_T&Js_Offroad
September 2nd, 2008, 14:40
:thumbup:

two main facts that everyone will tell you:

1. You get what u pay for.

2. Just do it right the first time. You'll end up going higher or you'll start chaning compenents out like me.

Dont mean to sound like a jerk but this is what i've learned so far while building up my jeep. Ive spent so much extra money its not even funny,

I would say go RE they have a better reputation. They ride nice, their components are beefy. Hence, you get what you pay for.

Wiser
September 2nd, 2008, 14:41
:thumbup: thanks.:D

besthaticouldo
September 2nd, 2008, 14:45
ok ok ok...i get what you are all saying. i am gonna order the RE 3.5 superride kit tonight probably. i am gonna try and have this all here for that install day on the 13th. but idk if it will work like that.

Wiser
September 2nd, 2008, 14:46
ok ok ok...i get what you are all saying. i am gonna order the RE 3.5 superride kit tonight probably. i am gonna try and have this all here for that install day on the 13th. but idk if it will work like that.:clap: you wont regret it!

besthaticouldo
September 2nd, 2008, 14:52
i dont think i will. i cant wait.

what size tires should i run?
31x10.50x15s???

Wiser
September 2nd, 2008, 14:53
i dont think i will. i cant wait.

what size tires should i run?
31x10.50x15s??? that or 32's

besthaticouldo
September 2nd, 2008, 14:54
i dont wanna risk rubbing...i think ill play it safe with the 31s.

Wiser
September 2nd, 2008, 14:55
i dont wanna risk rubbing...i think ill play it safe with the 31s.cool:yelclap:

Brendan_91XJ
September 2nd, 2008, 15:16
i dont wanna risk rubbing...i think ill play it safe with the 31s.

I am running 33's on mine, only rubs on extreme flex. I am also running the RE3.5" lift
a bit o' trimming was needed.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z305/bpking_42/70241ccf.jpg

silverslk
September 2nd, 2008, 15:24
I am running 33's on mine, only rubs on extreme flex. I am also running the RE3.5" lift
a bit o' trimming was needed.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z305/bpking_42/70241ccf.jpg

Dude, nice pic. :cheers:

I bet some SUPER COOL guy took it.......do tell????:laugh3:

or maybe his wife.....hehe

Brendan_91XJ
September 2nd, 2008, 15:38
Dude, nice pic. :cheers:
I bet some SUPER COOL guy took it.......do tell????:laugh3:
or maybe his wife.....hehe

I think I would put $$ on the wife taking the picture:gee:

besthaticouldo
September 2nd, 2008, 16:55
i ordered the RE kit from T&J offroad...

Wiser
September 2nd, 2008, 16:56
i ordered the RE kit from T&J offroad...cool

crazyjim
September 2nd, 2008, 17:19
Shoulda called Dan Turner for RE stuff, could you cancel your order? He'll get you a better deal I'm sure.

BajaCurt
September 2nd, 2008, 17:45
You will be happy with the RE 3.5 kit. Tom from T&J is a good guy. He has helped me out alot with advise and has asked me to chase for his race team in Mexico.
I know they have done alot of work on Rino's rig too.
Dude I was in Laguna Niguel today and usually every Monday. I could give you a ride sometime just to tease you and show how it's gonna ride before you get it installed LOL
If its your DD go with the 31X10.50 BFG AT.....hmmmm I was gonna keep the set I just took off. Tell you what..after you get the lift installed I will loan you my 31X10.50 BFG AT and black rock crawler fake beadlocks to see how you like them. Drive on them for a week to see how you like them. Just remember I'm in sales and this is called the puppy dog close LOL

besthaticouldo
September 2nd, 2008, 19:03
You will be happy with the RE 3.5 kit. Tom from T&J is a good guy. He has helped me out alot with advise and has asked me to chase for his race team in Mexico.
I know they have done alot of work on Rino's rig too.
Dude I was in Laguna Niguel today and usually every Monday. I could give you a ride sometime just to tease you and show how it's gonna ride before you get it installed LOL
If its your DD go with the 31X10.50 BFG AT.....hmmmm I was gonna keep the set I just took off. Tell you what..after you get the lift installed I will loan you my 31X10.50 BFG AT and black rock crawler fake beadlocks to see how you like them. Drive on them for a week to see how you like them. Just remember I'm in sales and this is called the puppy dog close LOL

dude that would be badass. im telling you xj peeps are the best.

i am thinking about those tires and idk what wheels. maybe just some 15x8 soft 8s or something.

ill let you know...maybe next monday we could meet up! thanks man!

besthaticouldo
September 3rd, 2008, 11:40
what trac bar should i look at getting?

crazyjim
September 3rd, 2008, 11:45
what trac bar should i look at getting?
RE HD trac bar with drop bracket.

besthaticouldo
September 3rd, 2008, 12:20
should i get the SYE or should i just get a TC drop?

silverslk
September 3rd, 2008, 12:22
should i get the SYE or should i just get a TC drop?

I would try it without and see first. If you have vibes, try the TC drop first. SoCalBilll just pulled his this past weekend......hint hint

silverslk
September 3rd, 2008, 12:22
RE HD trac bar with drop bracket.

X2

besthaticouldo
September 3rd, 2008, 12:23
I would try it without and see first. If you have vibes, try the TC drop first. SoCalBilll just pulled his this past weekend......hint hint

hahaha hint taken...

imma try and order the trac bar before the 13th, but idk if i will be able to pull all that money in lol

swbooking
September 3rd, 2008, 12:24
You *should* be fine with the 3.5" and only a TC drop, but if you have the money. I would say just do it right and get the SYE.

FWIW, the RE Hack N' Tap works great and is pretty cheap and to answer a driveshaft question, either order one from RE or go to JE Reel in Pomona.

and for a trac bar, my TnT system is awsome no complaints.

crazyjim
September 3rd, 2008, 12:24
Yea I ran a 3" on a 2000 that was fine, however, the RE3.5 is gonna be quite a bit taller, like Andy said, try it without, then try it with a Tcase drop until you can afford a SYE. And we just happen to know someone who has one layin' around ;)

besthaticouldo
September 3rd, 2008, 12:29
ill get the RE bar...

is this the SYE kit to get?
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=328&Pn=1804&XnPath=320,321,328&Vid=88EF4E7243642

because its really not that expensive and if itll get rid of all vibes i will probably do it.

do you guys know how to install the RE hack n tap? assuming thats it above...lol

XbajajeepX
September 3rd, 2008, 12:31
For the money you are spending, I would have gone with the 4.5".....

besthaticouldo
September 3rd, 2008, 12:33

ok...but i didnt want a 4.5 and its about 500 more plus shocks...oh and its not what i wanted...but thanks

silverslk
September 3rd, 2008, 12:34
ill get the RE bar...

is this the SYE kit to get?
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=328&Pn=1804&XnPath=320,321,328&Vid=88EF4E7243642

because its really not that expensive and if itll get rid of all vibes i will probably do it.

do you guys know how to install the RE hack n tap? assuming thats it above...lol

Dude, if you are not planning on wheeling it much the TC drop should be fine for you. You lose ground clearance but with what you have said you plan on doing with it I wouldn't waste the money. my 2

besthaticouldo
September 3rd, 2008, 12:35
good point im just concerned about the vibrations...

ill do a TC drop...if it vibes still ill get a SYE.

also...should i replace my u-joint while im down there? they arent expensive...

silverslk
September 3rd, 2008, 12:37

Does the 4.5 come with a HD track bar? IF not, this is all stuff he would need regardless of lift height. Track Bars (the HD owns the standard RE), TC drop, maybe SYE....all extras needed anyway.

swbooking
September 3rd, 2008, 12:38
Yup thats it if you have a NP231 TC.

and yeah, ive installed 3, its really easy and i know a couple other people around here run it

But i would listen to some of the guys above, run it with the TC drop and if you have vibes then get an SYE.

Altgoether the SYE and DS are going to run you about $400.

as for the u-joint, if its not busted, then dont bother. Like you said its cheap so if it does go to crap, then replace it.

silverslk
September 3rd, 2008, 12:39
good point im just concerned about the vibrations...

ill do a TC drop...if it vibes still ill get a SYE.

also...should i replace my u-joint while im down there? they arent expensive...

I wouldn't. But I'm cheap. haha

If it's fine don't mess with it. As it seems right now the 3.5" loft with the RE HD track bar and TC drop while doing Jims lift and ACOS Pro's and everything else will be a full day. Save some money for feeding those that show up to help you. haha You and Jim should split it or get together on that. haha

besthaticouldo
September 3rd, 2008, 12:41
hahaha ok...

ill save some money to feed you guys lol...

crazyjim
September 3rd, 2008, 12:45
I would also suggest the t-case drop... For what you're doing, you'll be more than fine I'm sure. You're starting to nickel and dime yourself which is going to kill you. That's what I started to do when I had a stock Jeep, it gets defeating, and you end up spending like 2k on a 3" lift... not worth it.

Just play it by ear and see how it goes.

As for food, that's how we do install parties. Good friends come to help, and talk ish, and in return you feed them. I figure we can split the cost eh? Grab some pizza's and soda, shouldn't be too bad.

besthaticouldo
September 3rd, 2008, 12:47
yep...sounds good. pizzas and sodas sounds good

yea i dont wanna overspend and have way more then i need. we'll see what happens after the tc drop.

thanks a LOT guys!

Brendan_91XJ
September 3rd, 2008, 20:17
I have the spacers for a 1/2" TC drop, you supply the extended bolts and its yours.

besthaticouldo
September 3rd, 2008, 21:18
thanks dude but socal bill has got me covered on that. i am picking up bolts this week.

thanks tho!

besthaticouldo
September 5th, 2008, 10:31
ok another retarded question...

with 31s how off is my speedo gonna be? should i get a new speedo gear?

silverslk
September 5th, 2008, 10:59
It will be closer than it is now. If yours ends up like mine. haha

besthaticouldo
September 5th, 2008, 11:01
really? lol im so lost dude...

i read that stock tires are 27s...i have 30s...thats makes em quite off. 31s wont make it worse???

ocean_jet
September 5th, 2008, 11:04
I went from stock to 31.5 tires and was off by about 10% at freeway speeds.

It never bothered me enough to change the gear.

silverslk
September 5th, 2008, 11:09
There is a light up sign iin the street in front of the hospital near my house. It tells you your speed (if going above 40mph). When I was stock 45 indictaed was 41 or something. After putting 30's on 45 was bouncing 44-45mph. haha

Have Jim bring his Nav and check it before and after tire swap. With 33's and my new speedo gear he says its dead on. Is Bajacurt bringing those 31's for you to "try out"?

besthaticouldo
September 5th, 2008, 11:10
im not sure...i believe hes at his race. so i am waiting to hear back from him...lol

karstic
September 5th, 2008, 15:10
What year, t-case, and manual or auto?

I may have my old speedo gear from when I was on 31's.

crazyjim
September 5th, 2008, 15:53
I'm on 30's right now, at 65mph indicated, my GPS tells me I'm at 65.3~

So with 31's you'll be maybe 1 mph off at 65. Not enough to worry about at ALL

besthaticouldo
September 5th, 2008, 16:53
95, 231 and auto...

ok thats what i was wondering jim.

thanks. we still on for the shocks?

Brendan_91XJ
September 5th, 2008, 17:37
95, 231 and auto...
ok thats what i was wondering jim.
thanks. we still on for the shocks?

I'll bring my gps next weekend and you can check it after the install

besthaticouldo
September 5th, 2008, 17:59
sweet dude...badass i appreciate it

besthaticouldo
September 9th, 2008, 13:29
just wanna give a big shoutout to T&Js.

they got my kit in under a week. their price was fair. they bent over backwards to help me get the kit picked up.

if you need anything from them i would send them a PM or e-mail Tom Nissley. thanks to everyone there!

silverslk
September 9th, 2008, 14:27
just wanna give a big shoutout to T&Js.

they got my kit in under a week. their price was fair. they bent over backwards to help me get the kit picked up.

if you need anything from them i would send them a PM or e-mail Tom Nissley. thanks to everyone there!

NICE!!! They have always been real nice when I go in. Its just they are not cheap (or even affordable to my broke ass). Nice stuff and I will be buying from them just not soon.

BTW. Did you order the HD track bar?

besthaticouldo
September 9th, 2008, 14:29
no i didnt...i wanted to wait. we'll drill the hole and wait to see if i need the trac bar and mount. but imma get the RE HD trac-bar and mount if i need it.

silverslk
September 9th, 2008, 14:43
no i didnt...i wanted to wait. we'll drill the hole and wait to see if i need the trac bar and mount. but imma get the RE HD trac-bar and mount if i need it.

You will get by without.

The RE HD is just WAY better and more durable. Just do it as soon as you have the cash to do it. Trust me.

BajaCurt
September 9th, 2008, 16:37
Is Bajacurt bringing those 31's for you to "try out"?

Sorry guys I was at the SCORE race in Primm over the weekend and was beat when I got home. Didn't have the chance to read all the posts here.
Yep I'm gonna bring them for him to "try out". Anyone got a spare set of lug nuts for steel rims that are similar to soft 8s that besthaticouldo could use? Unless he already has some that is.

besthaticouldo
September 9th, 2008, 18:07
thanks curt...i think i may have stock lugnuts.

what kind of lugs do they take?

swbooking
September 9th, 2008, 18:20
1/2" - 20 IIRC...

Edit: yup thats correct, just a cheap set form vatozone will work.

BajaCurt
September 9th, 2008, 18:26
The tapered cone type will work. The mag or shank style will not work on these rims.

besthaticouldo
September 9th, 2008, 18:54
will the bottom kind work?

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/spr/rep-lugnuts.jpg

homebrew
September 9th, 2008, 18:55
I have a trac bar relocation bracket that you can have. It aint pretty but it works.

BajaCurt
September 9th, 2008, 19:42
will the bottom kind work?

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/spr/rep-lugnuts.jpg

Yep I think so.

besthaticouldo
September 9th, 2008, 19:42
ok sweet. ill pick some up this week...

thanks man!