• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm honestly about to sell my jeep

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ, if it isn't one damn thing it's another. Trashed the front uppers wheeling like a month ago, spent a week with the car on blocks getting that fixed. Next up, master cylinder goes out. get a replacement, the hard lines break. Order new hard lines from the dealer because it's a dealer only part. Get the brakes hooked up, now my car won't start. the battery voltage gauge is showing 12 or 13 volts, and it turns over VERY slowly like once every few seconds. I'm assuming I have a bad starter now? i bought the battery back in June and as far as i can remember haven't run it down to dead. I'm so damn tired of dumping money and time and effort into this thing.

edit: Every few times the engine turns over, it'll make the clicking sound that you get when your battery's dead, and i can hear the relay clicking.

i'll give you $100 shipped...

JK, this only means that your XJ loves you and needs your attention.

Take a break, and then go back to it. You'll get it. I would try cleaning the contact points between the cables and the battery posts. Slap a charger on it and then try starting it.

Measure the voltage on the battery WHILE cranking it. If thats what you did, nevermind. If it drops to zero or close to that, it needs a charge. Or you could have a bad ground strap.

Or ill take it for 200 shipped :)

If you puddled it, you could have a bad starter OR
If you're using those lousy clamp on replacement posts, you may just have a bad connecton. I have had a battery look nice on the voltmeter on the battery, and not pull over the starter. Turned out to be a bad starter, and cheap clamp on post connectors.

Pop a charger on the battery and let it sit over night while you cool off.
If it still doesn't work in the morning, you have eliminated one cause.

umm, i'm pretty sure I had first dibs...

I'm at school right now, I'll go home and check the connections to the starter. I had it hooked up to a charger for at least 4 hours last night, windows and dome lights work fine, and so on. I've been DDing this thing since June, and I've put a new battery in it, new control arms all around, new DS u joints, a waterpump, two thermostats, a host of electrical problems, brakes, a new master cylinder, new steering linkage, and I'm sure plenty of other stuff I can't remember. I'll put a voltmeter on the terminals when I get home.

Also remember that just cause a bettery outputs 12VDC it doesn't mean it's good. Gotta have those cranking amps.

Drive your Jeep to Denver and give it to me.

I'll then buy you a plane ticket home. :thumbup:

And all your troubles will come to an end... :D

Do you have an oil leak? I just had problems with my jeep due to a huge oil leak where the battery was good but the engine wouldn't turn over at all. It was pretty much solved by cleaning the oil off

Don't get discouraged. You have a solid foundation in that '98 and those all seem like very fixable problems. If not, be thankful that you have thousands of forum members that will gladly take that heep off your hands.

Back