• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with my 1989 Cherokee Pioneer!

DansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've just picked up a 1989 Cherokee. I am having trouble finding out a couple things.

1) How big are the stock rims? 15x7? 15x8?

2) What size tire can i fit on that rim and what do most people seem to run and where to get them online?

3) How expensive would it be to throw a 3" lift all around (springs/leafs/ shocks etc)

-Dan

Get 31x10.5 for a 15" rim and make a lift similar to rocklizardfabrication.com or something like that. It wont cost alot and you could always go bigger from there.

Search these boards to learn more.

:cheers: I believe it should be a 15x7. but some strippers/fleet rigs come with a 15x6. A 235/75 is the biggest tire you should run on a 6" wheel. I still have a set of 31" tires mounted on stock 7" alloys that I put 40K+miles on. 31"s will rub on your lcas at full lock, other than that it will be fine. A 10.50 is the largest tire you should run on a 15x7. Steel wheels should have the size stamped on either the rim or the center by the hub[15xJ6 or 15xJ7] on the outboard side. Alloy wheels have the size cast either under the hub cap or on the inboard side of the rim. I believe all XJ alloys are 15x7

A cheap lift is to get a XJ kit without rear leaf springs (4.5" springs up front, 4 shocks, misc drop brackets). A rough Country kit should be around $300. Convert the back to spring over and reuse the existing rear springs. Moving the shock mounts to the midline of the axle will let you use the rear XJ shocks and get them out of harms way as they normally hang pretty low. End result is about 5" lift over stock (assuming the rear is already sagged a bit).

This is working quite well for me with 32" tires, 15x8 rims, and a set of 4.10/4.11 geared axles from the junkyard. I did not lengthen the rear drive shaft, although you could grab the slightly longer one from a manual if its currently an auto.

OK...first, the XJ is already spring-over in the rear. Although the shock brackets are lower thann the axle tubes, they haven't been a problem for me!

I'd budget $650-700 for a good 3" lift. That price includes new front coils, new front lower control arms, new rear leafs (not add-a-leaf), shocks, and misc. break line and track bar hardware.

I lifted my '89 XJ with a Skyjacker 3" lift and have been pretty satisfied. After 8 years, I need to repace the bushings, but other than that, it's solid. I ran 31X10.5 on 15x7 rims...only had to restrict front turning angle with washer in the stop-bolt. Also had to do some fender trimming for 31's...more front and rear trimming when I went to 33's to get full flex.

Hope my experience helps...write with further questions.

Flyfisher said:
OK...first, the XJ is already spring-over in the rear. Although the shock brackets are lower thann the axle tubes, they haven't been a problem for me!
Aw crap - never mind. I was thinking Comanche as I was just replying to another Comanche thread. Didn't help that I had almost no sleep yesterday. Yeah the Comanche starts out sprung under with the shock mounts hanging way down.

Back