• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan leak

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pretty good leak in the front of my oil pan, I must not have sealed it properly when I put the reman engine in. I really ,really don't want to replace the gasket right now, can anyone recommend a simple repair for now?
I was thinking of cleaning the area well and trying to squish in some fuel tank repair putty or something. Its leaking between the timing cover and the very front of the pan

get some stop leak. my buddy had a leaky rear main seal that sprung loose on the way to a wheeling trip. stopped in a auto parts store and bought, i swear to god "Rear Main Seal Stop Leak". put it in and it didnt leak thru the whole trip. well until we were smashing up highway 50 at about 4k rpms in the twistys. it finally sprung a little leak again but sealed back up.

team510 said:
get some stop leak. my buddy had a leaky rear main seal that sprung loose on the way to a wheeling trip. stopped in a auto parts store and bought, i swear to god "Rear Main Seal Stop Leak". put it in and it didnt leak thru the whole trip. well until we were smashing up highway 50 at about 4k rpms in the twistys. it finally sprung a little leak again but sealed back up.
I think that stuff is more to swell a rubber seal or gasket, My oil pan is in place with rtv. Thanks for the suggestion!

Are you sure it's your oil pan gasket and not your front main seal? If it's you're oil pan gasket then it's best to just pull it and put in the $20 1 piece gasket instead of rtv.

dave92cherokee said:
Are you sure it's your oil pan gasket and not your front main seal? If it's you're oil pan gasket then it's best to just pull it and put in the $20 1 piece gasket instead of rtv.

I know I know, who makes a one peice gasket?

Back