• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hairline fracture in fuel intake manifold...

green xj 2000

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,
I own 2000 xj with a 3.5'' lift and 31'' tires, I love this car. Anyways, I recently had a scare which involved my jeep shutting down after over heating due in part to a hose being chewed in half by the fan, and the other part was a faulty/old thermostat. I also learned (an expensive learning experience) that AAA deactivates you from your parents plan after you turn 21, so I thought I had AAA, but no, I haven't for years... Long story short, $465 tow charge for a $10 fix, but I noticed something else: There is a hairline fracture in my fuel intake manifold, which I am pretty sure is pretty bad. I sprayed carb cleaner on it to see if I got any more rpms and I did get a few. This problem has probably been around for a few years without me noticing - I expected lower gas milage after lifting and putting on bigger tires...

My question: I need to fix this issue, what are my options? Are aftermarket manifolds good/better than OEM? Should I just find one at a pick n pull? How much do OEM and aftermarket prices differ? I am just wondering how much it would cost and also if I could do it myself...

Thanks, keep truckin'

Glenn

There's nothing wrong with the OEM intake manifolds, just get another 1999+ style and you'll be fine.

Actually I've never seen an aftermarket intake manifold for an XJ.....just alot of options for exhaust manifolds.

Back