• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Tow Hook Locations

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have a 98 XJ Classic and I want to put some tow hooks on it. Everyplace I look sells brackets for $70 that you need in order to bolt tow hooks on. Are there any places on the Cherokees that you can just bolt tow hooks to without having to buy these brackets???

Not in a safe and strong way.

The XJ is unibody (aka no frame) meaning that you need to spread out the load the tow hooks will put on whatever they are bolted to. Most brackets utilize the three factory bumper bolts and one additional hole behind it.

I would recommend the C4x4 tow hooks, as they add in an additional front crossmember "L" bracket for even more strength (as well as helping with angled pulls) and you can even get them powdercoated for like 7 dollars extra.

5th item down on this page...
http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html

BTW there are probably a lot of people selling theirs after getting bumpers. I may just sell my uninstalled C4x4 ones because I'm thinking of getting a Backbone (Google it, it's a crossmember that goes behind the bumper and adds hooks and winch mount for like $280)

Last edited:
Some of the aftermarket brackets are just a piece of angle iron more or less. The HD factory type are worth the $ if you are actually going to use your hooks. Notice I say factory type, they don't need to be oem, but they should extend back to the sleeved hole in the frame rail.Quadratec sells a set for less than $50 that are junk, don't waste your money on something like that if you think you might actually use them for recovery.

MoparManiac said:
Not in a safe and strong way.

The XJ is unibody (aka no frame) meaning that you need to spread out the load the tow hooks will put on whatever they are bolted to. Most brackets utilize the three factory bumper bolts and one additional hole behind it.

I would recommend the C4x4 tow hooks, as they add in an additional front crossmember "L" bracket for even more strength (as well as helping with angled pulls) and you can even get them powdercoated for like 7 dollars extra.

5th item down on this page...
http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html

I have c4x4 hooks and they are nice and heavy duty. I dont remember an option of powder coating from c4x4 though? Is it something you just have to ask about? Too late for me now, Ive had mine about a year and the original black finish is fine on them still.

I might send just the hooks out to be powedercoating a bright color rather than black, hard to see at night.

I bought Rusty's brackets used. But then I ordered some of the C4x4 L brackets for added strength.

I'd say the extra L brackets are a good idea, with whatever setup you buy!

iwannadie said:
I have c4x4 hooks and they are nice and heavy duty. I dont remember an option of powder coating from c4x4 though? Is it something you just have to ask about? Too late for me now, Ive had mine about a year and the original black finish is fine on them still.

I might send just the hooks out to be powedercoating a bright color rather than black, hard to see at night.

I think the black is powdercoating.

Is there any such thing as reflective paint? That would make them pretty visible... dunno how well it would hold up to a strap.

winkosmosis said:
I think the black is powdercoating.

Is there any such thing as reflective paint? That would make them pretty visible... dunno how well it would hold up to a strap.

Im certain they didnt offer bare metal when I ordered mine. Mine are powdercoated black then...

I was thinking a bright orange powdercoating on the hooks might be good. Even s a bright spray paint and then just touch them up as needed might be better.

Back