• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow rig

Looks to me like he's built it pretty extensively. Usually that means they've beat on it to match.

If I were you, I'd find something more near stock. Going the right direction with a cummins tho.

yeah im a big fan of the cummins. I know there is the dowel pin to fix on the 12v's & that was already done.
Im glad I built my jeep one phase at a time but then I get on craigslist and see rigs fully built for a fraction of what I spent. Thought maybe I would learn my lesson and Buy something already modified because its only a matter of time before my tow rig becomes another wheeling rig. Thanks for your advice

$12k for a 340k mile truck is ridiculous.

I sold a GMC duramax/allison crew cab short bed '03 160k miles for $12k a couple weeks ago. Last night we sold a '06 2wd dually with 60k miles on it for $18.5k.

And I am a car salesman. That was at a car lot.

If you want to find a decent used truck look at some car lots right now, everybody is having aging issues with their inventory, prices on most of the trucks we have been seling are cheaper than what private party people are asking because they still need to get money out of their vehicle to pay it off or get back some of what they paid, its just numbers to a dealership right now.

Doyle said:
I sold a GMC duramax/allison crew cab short bed '03 160k miles for $12k a couple weeks ago.

Wow.

Cummins...hahaha. With all those upgrades he has, he's probably close (performance wise) to a stock duramax minus the allison. ;)

Why no chip?

Thanks for everyones input- I have allot more research to do. I guess I wouldnt mind seeing a Cummins vs Powerstroke vs Duramax debate unfold,
I dont know which cummins is better....the 12 or 24v. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice. Long term plans with A diesel tow rig are to convert it to bio/wvo.
RLTW

If you're planning on homebrewed bio or WVO, go with a 12v.

SUA SPONTE said:
Thanks for everyones input- I have allot more research to do. I guess I wouldnt mind seeing a Cummins vs Powerstroke vs Duramax debate unfold,
I dont know which cummins is better....the 12 or 24v. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice. Long term plans with A diesel tow rig are to convert it to bio/wvo.
RLTW

You're welcome to stop by and take the Dodge out for a spin.

I know most people like the 12v for simplicity, less electronics to go bad, the engines don't seem to mind wvo/bio, only downside is that you will want to beef the trannies manual or auto.

24v you can make more power/easier power from what I have been told, post '03 24v have no glow plugs etc.

The older trucks pre 6.7L in Dodge, seem to have problems with the ultra low sulfer fuel, the shop replaces lift pumps/fuel pumps/injectors on the older trucks a lot more frequently since they started using the new fuel.

On the same token, there are quite a few ways to cheaply/inexpensively remedy the lack of lubrication in the new fuel with additives.

Depending on your budget I would look at the '03+ trucks, larger cab more power stock etc. and for the miles on the older trucks, you can buy a newer one with the same miles for a similar price.

Just my opinion, hell, I bought a half ton dodge to tow my junk so I don't even follow my own advice.

Also, I wouldn't touch a Ford unless it was a 7.3L the 6.0L are too hit and miss as to whether you have a great motor with no problems or a motor that will be a headache, most of the older/higher mileage 6.0L should have any problems straightened out already I would think but who knows.

If you go Chevrolet/GMC nobody really says anything bad about them if you go with the Duramax, most people prefer the 6 speed allison over the 5 speed I think the model year split was 04- was 5 speed 05+ are 6 speed.

Last edited:
thanks for the info doyle.
John, can i drink a bunch of your homebrew then drive your rig? you have an 06 right? i may have to take you up on that offer....much appreciated.

Back