• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flashing the computer.....

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have been considering getting my 97 XJ's computer flashed because I have never done it before and I heard its a good idea to get it flashed every few years just to clean it up like you would a PC. Anyone ever done this? What happened after you had it done? My concern is I fought a Check Egine Light issue for over a year and I tried many different things to fix it frequently clearing the codes and having it come on and off alot logging in the issues in the computers memory. Now I used to get 17 MPG on the highway doin 70 mph before the whole CEL issue happened and nothing on the jeep has really changed other than I changed out the muffler from a gibson to a flowmaster 50 series because I liked the sound of the 50 series better and I added 4 lights to the front of my Kargomaster roof rack. Now I get at best 13-13.5 mpg on the highway doing 70 mph. That to me seems like a considerably drastic loss in mpg and I would be surprised if my changing of the muffler and adding lights would cause that much loss in gas mileage I mean I expected a little loss from the lights due to wind drag but not THAT much. Anyway I'm just looking to get an idea of what would happen if I flashed the computer.

Unless there's something specific in the later firmware, don't bother. Embedded devices generally don't share the same problems that Windows has.

Secondly, you'll have the dealer do it.

You've got something else going on. It'd probably be a better idea to read the codes and figure out what it's squawking about.

If you want to reset the computer, disconnect the battery for a few minutes to overnight.

Well its not throwing any codes now, the CEL issue I spoke of has since been resolved for over a year. So just to recap I had a CEL issue for a year then finally fixed it and it now has been over a year since it has been fixed. I don't mind having a dealership do it. I also heard that if you have a slight engine knock and there is nothing major wrong with the engine, ignition, and fuel system, then this would help cure it. I USED to have enigne knock back a long time ago so but I noticed I didn't get any knock if I ran middle grade gas so thats what I did up until about 4 months ago gas prices just got too high to keep that up so I went back to regular grade gas and I havent noticed any knock since. But still I haven't ever had the computer flashed and its a 97, which of its entire 11 year life, I have been the owner for 6 years of it. So anyway I was just seeing if anyone has done it and what happened to their Jeep afterwards.

Back