• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will 84-90 steering wheel fit 91 column?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I like the old style steering wheel with the bolts around the inner horn pad and my 91 wheel is pretty rough so I'm wondering if they are interchangeable. They have the same wheel and spoke pattern, but I figured I'd better double-check.

Thanks

cherokee chuck said:
I believe 91 is still the GM column so it should fit. I've been told 96 & earlier non-airbag wheels all interchange.
they changed the steering column for the '95 model year. so '94 and earlier columns are the GM style.

i would like to know if a '95+ column will swap in a pre '95. mounting locations and electrical connections...

tigerShark said:
i would like to know if a '95+ column will swap in a pre '95. mounting locations and electrical connections...
2X, I'd like to put an early column in my air bag 95. Are all 95 up air bag equipped? All of mine have been.:dunno:

cherokee chuck said:
2X, I'd like to put an early column in my air bag 95. Are all 95 up air bag equipped? All of mine have been.:dunno:

ok, ive been doing some work out side on my '93 and my wrecker '95. as far as i can tell this is not a direct swap. the wiring harnesses for both columns are different. im surprised Chryco didnt adapt their column to plug into the existing harness when the went to the newer style column. seems like it would have been easier to adapt the column to the existing harness than vise versa. disappointing...

all the '95's ive seen have the air bag.

btw, GM columns are a PITA to work on.

Back