• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core Cutoff Valve/Bypass??

Sleepydog

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my fourth XJ - Its a 2000.:laugh3: It runs great, looks great, etc...

Only problem I've noticed is that the ac is not super cold (cool, but not cold), and the temperature control dial does not work at all (all cool, all the time, no matter what the dial position).

I noticed that the previous owner had installed a shutoff valve in the heater hose going into the core. It was turned off (no hot coolant flowing to core). I turned it "on" and now the temp control dial works perfectly. Makes sense, considering it now has heated air to work with.

I cannot understand why the p.o. would have installed the valve. The core is not leaking at all, and the ac works (although it could use a charge).

Is there any advantage to having the cutoff valve?

Someone put a shutoff valve in mine too. I never touched it but always wondered what it was for. I've even seen 1 or 2 in the JY with them in it.

The older XJ's prior to 97 had the vacuum actuated shutoff valve. After that they got deleted and coolant was always allowed to flow to the heater core.

I was reading up about F350's and some guys added manual shutoff valves and saw an improvement in the A/C efficiency....AKA not having to use MAX AC anymore and still getting it just as cold in the cabin, or colder.

So I'd say the valve has some merit.

Back