• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ headlights quit working

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
head lights quit
both head lights are not working... the dash shows them on high beam when I turn them on... they don't light up. It also will not switch between high and low beam... any thoughts?

Most likely the switch but check fuses first.

cool, fuse is good will look for the relays / how do I check to see if it's good? and look for a new switch.

One thing I noticed is that the headlight plugs look a little cooked/melted... not sure if it was from the previous owner or just happened? The bulbs are brand new and are the Bosch replacements - lense then standard H4/9003 bulbs.
Should I try a stock 6054 light in there?:helpme:

It is rare that both bulbs would go at the same time. Do you have a tilt steering wheel? If so try moving it up and testing it. then the other way. sometimes the connection is a bit loose.

Bug

Remove your air filter box. Under there is the plug for the headlight harness. Check for voltage there,or a broken and shorted wire. Although I'd bet the other guy's are right about the switch. This is just another area to check before spending cash on parts that may not take care of the problem

relay seems good, I switched with the horn and test it, I will check the tilt steering... and I tried a stock 6054 lamp = nada!

I have attached some pics:
Headlight plug #1 both plugs are the same and it looked as if there was some corrosion/heat damage on both bulb prongs
004.jpg

002.jpg

manual relay diagam
008.jpg

relays - what is the silver thing hanging from the right side...it's not attached to the relays just dang close to them... it was hot when the keys were in the ignition.
011.jpg

Yeah, they look fubar.

Have you tested for power at the connectors yet?

ok, I tested the connectors with a 2 prong light -up tester nutting... I guess they're kaput then... so do I need just the plug or is it a pigtailed connector?

I just got through troubleshooting a no lights of any kind problem on my 96 XJ. Even disassembled the front light wiring harness to make sure there were no shorted or broken wires.

Turned out to be some broken and corroded wires in the ten pin connector under the airbox. I ended up cutting out the connector and replacing it with two weather pak connectors. One for the headlights, and one for the parking/turn/sidemarker lights. The remaining wires were just cut off because I don't have factory off-road lighting.

cdnabn49 said:
no power going to sockets so I am goiung to put in a new dimmer switch and look for some new sockets...:helpme:

do you have power to the dimmer switch and none coming out? I wouldnt jump to replace something if you didnt test it yet. Might have a loose wire before the switch even.

Bug

wires are good to the switch... Jeep mechanic the day time running lights usually goes kaput and takes the power to the headlights out...

so if anyone knows where the DRL module is located under the hood - supposedly by the firewall... plz advise...
like a Mron I forgot to ask where it is located...

culprit has been found to be none other then this!
002.jpg

friggin melted socket:flame:... after schlepping with the DRL - thanks to all those for the input much cluster F - ing around just a plain old shitty connection....

I want to thank everyone for the help... NAXJA members rock... love the XJ - hate dealing with the problems...

both sockets were frigged... previous owner put high powered lights in... guess they got real hot and melted them... one went then the other... pooooooor connection.
worked when i pressed the lights in...

Back