• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Democrats strike again

BIgDaddyChia

RRC Organizer
By P. SOLOMON BANDA Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 08/24/2008 07:38:34 PM MDT

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was briefly evacuated from her downtown Denver hotel on Saturday when a man carrying two hunting rifles and two pistols tried to check in to the hotel.

Secret Service spokesman Malcolm Wiley said 29-year-old Joseph Calanchini of Pinedale, Wyo., faces a charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon after police officers at the Grand Hyatt hotel noticed him carrying a rifle-type case while checking in. Calanchini did not have a concealed weapons permit, said Lance Clem, spokesman for the Colorado Department of Public Safety.

Wiley said authorities were not releasing information about whether the weapons were loaded because the case remained under investigation. Wiley said the charge is the same whether the weapons were loaded or unloaded.

Pelosi and other guests briefly evacuated the hotel but were never in danger, Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly said.

Calanchini told KUSA-TV it was bad timing.

"I didn't even know the DNC was in town. I don't watch the news," Calanchini told the station from jail before he was released on $10,000 bond. "If I had known, I would have done things differently. It was a simple mistake."

Calanchini told KUSA he had the weapons because he was getting ready for a hunting trip Aug. 28.

Authorities were investigating a report that Calanchini was in town on business and had had the weapons worked upon, including mounting of site scopes, to prepare for the trip.

"The speaker was never in any danger and she appreciates the quick and professional response of the police," said Daly.

So the republicans would've handled this differently how???

!!!1

*edit* Page one, first reply.

Carry on!
1974_eating_popcorn.gif

Last edited:
That was a bone head move on his side.. But to throw the guy in jail is just BS to me.. The news last night said the guy was going hunting and he had all his permits.. So if we get the House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to show up by my house when hunting season opens i can't go right? The world is going to hell in a basket..

BIgDaddyChia said:
..., after police officers at the Grand Hyatt hotel noticed him carrying a rifle-type case while checking in. Calanchini did not have a concealed weapons permit,...
So now you need a concealed weapons permit to carry a cased rifle?

Wonderful.

Woudln't have changed a thing if it was a democrat or republican, this was because of some city law or another that he broke.

Rule here is when carrying weapons always do it legally. If you're traveling with them take your head out of your ass and see what the rules are in the areas you're traveling through.

Ridiculous, what was he supposed to do; walk into the hotel with the unloaded rifles slung on his back and the unloaded pistols holstered on his hips? Leave the weapons in his/the rental car? No. You bring your guns into the hotel unloaded and in a case, so they can be stored in the hotel safe until you leave (to hunt, not necessarily to check out).

Wyoming guy arrested in Colorado. I'd wager that he's done this before. He just happened to get unlucky with his timing. Any other time, that guy would have gone totally unnoticed.

Just checked, the first deer/elk hunt of the season starts Sat. 8/30/08. A couple of bird hunts open 9/1 as well.
I understand taking the extra security precautions, but I really hope they don't end up charging this guy. Yes, I'm presuming that he's innocent. I see no proof of wrongdoing, just poor judgement.

The dumbocrats know they are hated.. But it's ok to throw us in jail for hunting.... Just more wood on the fire... I just pray i can pay the TAXES when they raise them... We have to pay these aholes millions a year to keep them happy, right train? Obuthead/ bama only made 4 mill last year..Can i get in office an do the same thing? Your off an running boys...LOL

kujito said:
Ridiculous, what was he supposed to do; walk into the hotel with the unloaded rifles slung on his back and the unloaded pistols holstered on his hips? Leave the weapons in his/the rental car? No. You bring your guns into the hotel unloaded and in a case, so they can be stored in the hotel safe until you leave (to hunt, not necessarily to check out).

Wyoming guy arrested in Colorado. I'd wager that he's done this before. He just happened to get unlucky with his timing. Any other time, that guy would have gone totally unnoticed.
You leave the guns in the car and let the hotel staff know you have them and plan on bringing them in and storing them in the safe or your room, or wherever. If you're not in an open carry state (I don't know if CO is or not) don't carry openly.

Colorado is open carry with obvious exceptions (gov. buildings, schools, etc.) Buildings where weapons are prohibited must post signs stating so at all public entrances.

The thing that strikes me as a bit suspicious...... and probably was suspicious to the Hotel staff that saw him carrying in the gun cases.........

Why check into a Hotel in DOWNTOWN DENVER? I can't figure out how that'd be a good place to "prepare" for a hunting trip when you're from Wyoming. I don't think there's many - if any - gun shops downtown that would be apealing enough for a hunter to bring his rifles all the way from Wyoming to have sights/scopes installed.......

Still seems a bit fishy to me. And I imagine that's why they booked him and made him bond. They'll want to do a full background on the guy to see if he's a Donkey hater or something.

My $.02 anyway...... :dunno:

BIgDaddyChia said:
"I didn't even know the DNC was in town. I don't watch the news," Calanchini told the station from jail before he was released on $10,000 bond. "If I had known, I would have done things differently. I would have brought bigger guns, and more ammo.

fixed.

scottmcneal said:
The dumbocrats know they are hated.. But it's ok to throw us in jail for hunting.... Just more wood on the fire... I just pray i can pay the TAXES when they raise them... We have to pay these aholes millions a year to keep them happy, right train? Obuthead/ bama only made 4 mill last year..Can i get in office an do the same thing? Your off an running boys...LOL

Name calling is SOOOO elementry school...:smoker:

Back