• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's on a 4.5 -5" lift?

squidd

NAXJA Forum User
I wasn't too sure where to post this,

I have a cooworker that has a set of marshall 35" tires he is going to be selling for $250. This is coming about the same time that I am going to be putting the 8.8 rear end in. Since I am going to be regearing front and rear and have the stronger axle it seems like this might not be a bad move. I have read on here that it takes substantial trimming and I just would like to see what a rig set up this way looks like. Anyone have a picture of their cherokee on 35's with a 4.5? Thanks.

squidd said:
I wasn't too sure where to post this,

I have a cooworker that has a set of marshall 35" tires he is going to be selling for $250. This is coming about the same time that I am going to be putting the 8.8 rear end in. Since I am going to be regearing front and rear and have the stronger axle it seems like this might not be a bad move. I have read on here that it takes substantial trimming and I just would like to see what a rig set up this way looks like. Anyone have a picture of their cherokee on 35's with a 4.5? Thanks.

What are you running for suspension parts to get you to 4.5?

Right now I have a R/C 4.5 with add a leafs and 32's with no rubbing. I'm thinking as part of the axle upgrade I am going to get a set of rusty's 4.5" springs and keep my long shackles since I am going to put in a SYE at the same time. I am thinking this will put me somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.25-5.5" in the back and I could always put a .75" spacer in the front.

squidd said:
Right now I have a R/C 4.5 with add a leafs and 32's with no rubbing. I'm thinking as part of the axle upgrade I am going to get a set of rusty's 4.5" springs and keep my long shackles since I am going to put in a SYE at the same time. I am thinking this will put me somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.25-5.5" in the back and I could always put a .75" spacer in the front.

put a spacer up front after you figure out how high the back ends up. Then bump stop the front with hocky pucks

Thanks for the info, I guess the only real reason I am considering 35's is the deal on the tires. Is it really going to be worth it? Pics look like it takes a lot of trimming to get any clearance. 32's have worked pretty good so far. I'm kinda on the fence.

IXNAYXJ said:
I wouldn't bother. Besides the trimming issue, going to a 35 brings up a whole slew of new problems. Stay with what works for you.

-----Matt-----

Very true. You have many things to consider, including but not limited to the following: Wheel backspacing, stock wheels will rub with 35"s. Gearing, you'll suffer both mileage and power loss without re-gearing the diffs. Unit bearings and steering, both need to be in top form and/or upgraded in the case of steering, or trail failure increases dramatically. Brakes, same as above but includies daily driving as well as trail. Breakage of axleshafts, bigger tires means more leverage on parts that were not designed for it. Handling, it won't likely drive and ride as nice on the bigger tires.

Lots of things to think about when jumping from 32-33"s to 35"s +. 33"s seem to be the maximum size tire that can be run with minimal mods and retaining most of the factory handling/performance characteristics.

Fubar and IXNAYXJ both run 35's they just don't want you to be as kewl as they are :jester:

They get jealous

IXNAYXJ said:
The reality is that I run over $5,000 worth of parts to make those 35's work, and I've never gone anywhere on the 35's that I couldn't on 33's.

-----Matt-----

does that make you a poser

Thanks for the advise. My buddies here at work are all for me making the swap but I have keep running into the reliability issue and the fact that as it sits now with the 32's I am going over/ through stuff that I would never have guessed the jeep would have gone over. Is an 8.8 with 4.10's overkill for running 32/33's? Or am I just building reliability into it. This is my DD and I kinda like the idea of being able to wheel the snot out of it and still making it into work the next day.

squidd said:
Thanks for the advise. My buddies here at work are all for me making the swap but I have keep running into the reliability issue and the fact that as it sits now with the 32's I am going over/ through stuff that I would never have guessed the jeep would have gone over. Is an 8.8 with 4.10's overkill for running 32/33's? Or am I just building reliability into it. This is my DD and I kinda like the idea of being able to wheel the snot out of it and still making it into work the next day.

4.10 is great for 32s

The 8.8 is plenty reliable for you.

I agree with Matt and Doug. For your initial question: I run ~5" of lift w/35x13.5's and rub just about everywhere; I'm tearing the piss out of my new tires. As for the trimming, I have 1" gaps between my wells and body, just to give you an idea of the extent of my "trimming."

squidd said:
Is an 8.8 with 4.10's overkill for running 32/33's? Or am I just building reliability into it. This is my DD and I kinda like the idea of being able to wheel the snot out of it and still making it into work the next day.
The 8.8 would be a great upgrade for you, and if you look around you can find one with factory limited slip (it will probably need some TLC, but it's a lot better than open).

-----Matt-----

I have 4.5" lift springs front and rear with a VERY heavy Jeep, large winch, heavy bumpers etc (probably less than 4" of lift total). I run 33" TSL (the same as the average 35" tire. I have trimmed the front and rear as much as possible (past the pinch seams) and they still look like normal fenders but I have plenty of room for the 35's and could probably fit 37's with out much work. Just because you can fit it does not mean you should. Like has been said before there are LOTS of other things that need to be considered (gears, breaks, steering, etc).

with the 4.0 and AT 4.10's are great with 31's, I would pick 4.56's for 32's and 4.88's with 33's.

Michael

2xtreme said:
I have 4.5" lift springs front and rear with a VERY heavy Jeep, large winch, heavy bumpers etc (probably less than 4" of lift total). I run 33" TSL (the same as the average 35" tire. I have trimmed the front and rear as much as possible (past the pinch seams) and they still look like normal fenders but I have plenty of room for the 35's and could probably fit 37's with out much work. Just because you can fit it does not mean you should. Like has been said before there are LOTS of other things that need to be considered (gears, breaks, steering, etc).

with the 4.0 and AT 4.10's are great with 31's, I would pick 4.56's for 32's and 4.88's with 33's.

Michael

I agree Michael on a lot of what you say here. I should point out that an 8.8 with 4.10s is way better for 32s than a Dana35 with 3.55 and with a d30 with 4.10s from a junkyard, it can be a great upgrade over stock gearing. I ran 4.10s when I was on 32s and it was a great gear/tire combo for gas milage on the road.

GlueNTape said:
Fubar and IXNAYXJ both run 35's they just don't want you to be as kewl as they are :jester:

They get jealous

Haha. Just want him to be realistic about it. And like Matt said, I did a bunch of other stuff up-front because I knew I wanted to run 35"s. It would have been much simpler and inexpensive, and not much less capable, to do a milder buildup and stick with 33"s.

WaXJ_Skier said:
I agree Michael on a lot of what you say here. I should point out that an 8.8 with 4.10s is way better for 32s than a Dana35 with 3.55 and with a d30 with 4.10s from a junkyard, it can be a great upgrade over stock gearing. I ran 4.10s when I was on 32s and it was a great gear/tire combo for gas milage on the road.

There is nothing wrong with 32's and 4.10's.
My only point is that if I was to choose a gear ratio for that tire specifically I would go with the 4.56's. If I had 4.10's already I probably wouldn't swap them out.

Michael

Back