• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Separating rims and tires

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get a set of rims and tires separated...anyone have the machine to do it in San Diego? If not how much would a shop charge to do it?

Thanks
Mike

I've got the Harbor Freight tire mount tool. I used it to mount some tires. I haven't ever tried to dismount tires with it, but it is suppose to be able to do it.

You are welcome to use it if you want to try it.... but you take responsibility if your rims get scratched. :)

the tire shop i go to charges me 7 bux a tire to swap from old tire to new, they shouldnt charge you more than 20. the smaller the place is the cheaper it should be.

GrimmJeeper said:
the tire shop i go to charges me 7 bux a tire to swap from old tire to new, they shouldnt charge you more than 20. the smaller the place is the cheaper it should be.

Yeah, there's a little shop with in walking distance from my work that I'm in good with. I just drop it off in the morning and bring him 20 bucks cash for all four.

Expect 10-20 bucks a tire anywhere else though :D

Do it yourself!

You need a Hilift, Jeep with a class II hitch and some screw drivers.

I can dis-mount and mount a set of tires in the driveway in less than 2 hours for free using the above tools.

shelbyluvv said:
Do it yourself!

You need a Hilift, Jeep with a class II hitch and some screw drivers.

I can dis-mount and mount a set of tires in the driveway in less than 2 hours for free using the above tools.

Hmm, I could spend 2 hours d***ing around not including mounting them on the vehicle, or give a guy 20 bucks while I'm at work. It's a tough call.

Also, I'm not above it, I've actually tried it. But I was using my rock rail and then I punched a hole in my new door like a can opener from the hi-lift mechanism. I was over it after that.

I just ordered my Soft 8's and have been pricing the same thing. I've seen prices ranging from $18 per tire at America's Tire, to $120 for all four at Les Schwab, to $10.25 per tire at Costco.

7 bucks sounds like a steal to me.

i got a coats 30-40 i picked up awhile back, i can do steelies, but alum may get scratched.

OT: if anyone knows where i can get the plastic boots for doing alum i would be greatful

Back